Lackawaxen Lake Trail

Lackawaxen Lake Trail is a 2.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Midway, UT that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, camping, and nature trips and is accessible from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

The trailhead can be accessed from Salt Lake Valley via Big Cottonwood Canyon or from Midway via Guardsman's Pass. From Salt Lake Valley, take Big Cottonwood Road (190) all the way up past Solitude and there is a turn to your left before you come to Brighton that takes you to Guardsman's pass. From Midway, take Pine Canyon Road (224) past the golf course and follow that road for a little over 8 miles and before you drop down into Brighton ski area, there is a place to park at the saddle of Guardsman's Pass.

Lovely hike. It was Labor day, and incredibly busy, but so was every other trailhead in Big Cottonwood, and 90% of the people were headed down to Bloods lake. No mosquitoes noted today. The trail is very steep, although we stayed on the ridge up and over the little peaklet at about 0.5 mi, and coming down that was probably the steepest part (note the the trail as marked goes around the peaklet, but this means you are on the SLC side of the divide and sometimes people will get after you for having a dog). I ran up Clayton peak while my family continued down from the saddle at about 0.75 mi and continued S to Lake Lackawaxen, where I met them. We had a lovely lunch there, then doubled back on the lower trail to pass Blood's lake on the way back to the trailhead. There were plenty of people on the trail, but not really crowded expect the little section between Bloods and the trailhead. I would highly encourage making the trip over to lackawaxen. Although the ridge trail gains a lot more elevation, it gives you wonderful views both directions. The lower trail was often shaded and very nice. Oh, and given cooler temps the last few days, no more mosquitoes!

Beautiful country. Lots of mosquitos. Will definitely return with my dog!

Lots of mosquitos so bring your spray but totally worth it. Go up over 10420 and the after you visit lackwaxsen you can loop down to blood lake of you mostly stay left. It can get a bit confusing and I wish there were trail signs! You can bring your dog which is way cool.

loads of people go to blood lake. keep going up the mountain and you might have this lake to yourself.

So. Many. Mosquitos.

Beautiful

Loved this trail, had enough open spaces for my beagle to run and play while still having a point a to point b trail for me. She wasn't fond of crossing boulder field but cause I'm a pushover, I carried my beagle across to get to the lake (hahaha)
I am from Salt Lake Valley and I have to drive through Big Cottonwood Canyon to get to the other side, this merited me a lot of dirty looks but no one stopped me for it. Just don't stop with your dog in the cottonwood canyons.

Took the long way to this one: Peak 10420, Clayton Peak, and then dropped down to the drainage and to Lackawaxen. This is a beautiful lake. I've been to it twice now and didn't see one person anywhere near the lake. Not a big one but what it lacks in size it makes up for in solitude, quiet and beautiful surroundings. There are a few good spots around the lake for tents. Definitely worth the trek up and over 10420. I always circle around to Bloods Lake on the way back. Much nicer going back that way than back up and over 10420.

Great workout trail as it's ups ups ups n downs. Nice views and hard drops down into the lakes. Will test the stout of heart.

Trail climbs steeply up Peak 10,420 great views then drops down to a saddle. The trail to Lackawaxen lake drops down to the drainage on the left. When you get down the trail climbs to the right up to the lake. Its a small beautiful lake at the base of Clayton Peak. You can return the way you came or instead of climbing back to the saddle take the right fork and follow the trail to Bloods lake and return back to the trailhead.