Kolob Arch via La Verkin Creek Trail

Kolob Arch via La Verkin Creek Trail is a 13.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Cedar City, UT that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and camping and is accessible year-round.

The trail begins at Lee Pass and passes by the open finger canyons of the near-by cliffs as it travels along Timber Creek. After coming around the corner and within view of La Verkin Creek, the trail descends the slope down to the creek bottom on a hard packed trail. Once on the creek bed, the trail heads up stream offering amazing views of the surrounding cliffs. The trail is 7 miles from Lee Pass to Kolob Arch, one of the main destinations of the route and possibly the nations largest free-standing arch. From there you can continue up canyon to Beartrap Canyon and Willis Canyon to extend your trip or offer day hiking options. This is a great area to spend a few days. This trail is best in the spring, summer and fall. The trail typically has snow in the winter that can remain until early spring. Camping is in designated sites only and is available for reservations online or on a walk-up basis. Their are 13 backpack camps along the trail

The arch is huge but the trail really doesn't get very close.

The arch was a bit anticlimactic, but the scenery was quite unique. Love the red desert stone and landscape. We saw a Sonoran King Snake and a rather large Garter Snake, but otherwise uneventful trip.

great overnight backpacking trip campsites 7-10 have great places to filter water and plenty of trees for hammocks

The trail is pretty easy, it's mostly level. To get to the arch, our app tracked 16 miles, as opposed to the 14 advertised. The arch is a little difficult to see, and it's hard to get really good pictures, but it was still really cool. It took us about 8 hours to complete the hike. The waterfall next to the arch was actually my favorite part.

The views and the nature around the trail was beautiful. However I didn't think that the hike was worth seeing the arch. I thought the arch was going to be something right in front of us but it was very far away. Also there and back for the hike was around 16 miles.

Very good hike. We hiked about 5 miles in and camped for a night before continuing the next morning to the impressive arch and then hiking back out. Most of the campsites are alongside La Verkin Creek and you need to reserve them at the park office. Some are a little better than others, but there's not a huge difference once you get to the ones near the creek. We did it in November and only saw one other person during the entire hike.

Fun hike!

Very beautiful winter hike! Lots to explore!

Went in the summer in mid July. It was hot in the afternoon but cooled right on down at night, not cold though. It is one of the best overnighters I've done so far, I think it was campsite six or seven my buddy and I had, if I'm correct is on the other side of the creek and tucked away. Most of the sites by the creek are great all the same. There is enough distant between campsites you probably won't hear people(unless they are boy scouts haha). The water was so nice since it was hot. I brought a lifestraw which was perfect. We saw the arch in the morning. It is a considerable distance away, a sign saying look up is at the end where the arch stands, it makes you chuckle when you read the sign and look up like a dumb tourist. I would take a tent next time if its the warm seasons, because of bugs. We listened to "The Way of Kings" on Audible by Brandon Sanderson to make the hike pass by which made the scenery more epic and complimentary to the words being said lol. But overall its an awesome place.

Long day hike, usually done as an overnight. Water access available on trail, be sure to bring filtration system.

Completed this trail in May 2015 as the first section of the Trans-Zion hike. For my first time in Utah, this was a wonderful introduction to the huge variety of rock formations, plants, and animal life in the area. Absolutely beautiful, a ton of water, great campsites. This was a really prime starting point for our longer hikes over the next few days. Would recommend doing the long hike into Zion Canyon or just an out and back by itself. Either way the scenery and challenge of the hike is well worth it!

beautiful scenery. Easy hike. great place for n overnight. Plenty of places to get good water.

Great trail for a long run in the area. Hydration pack is a must. I only took one 20oz bottle and regret it.

Started at Lee Pass at Sunrise, managed to make it back before 11:00am.

The altitude climb out of the canyon is severe, especially at the end of a 14 mile run. Be prepared to work!

Would bring a camelback or lifestraw if attempting again.

Beautiful scenery, easy running most of the time. Arch was a bit difficult to find, as the trail goes into the creek that was quite fuller than normal due to recent rain.

Wonderful trip. Stayed overnight. The hike has some great climate changes (3). Beautiful scenery. If going in the summer, take extra water, water filter and bug spray. The rangers were also VERY helpful and friendly. If you want to stay overnight, check in with the ranger first.

April was the perfect time of year. A little sandy, but nice.

Great easy backpacking trail. Not much elevation difference (a 500 ft. descent) and lots of water along the trail. Once you get back into the la verkin creek area it reminded us of a smaller zion canyon without the roads, lodges, shuttles, and crowds. Excellent. I would recommend staying at campsites 6-10 which seemed to be the nicest. 7-10 are nestled in a grove of ponderosa pines while 6 is creek side next to a small pool.

Took my boys (12 and 14) on this hike. We had a great time. We almost missed some spectacular views of the Kolob Finger Canyons just feet from the trail. There are Pinyon Pine and Juniper trees along the trail that hide some of the splendor. These sites are only a few feet from the trail, however.

All though this is a year-round trail, we had quite a bit of mud and snow in late November. Temperatures ranged from around 60 degrees in the afternoon to below freezing in the early evening. Also, since the trail ends in about a 1,000 foot ascent, you need to reserve some energy for the last push.

Kolob Arch is surrounded with near-pristine vegetation which limits spots for photography. You have a West-facing view, which may be incredible in the morning.

I think I'll go back soon on a one or two-night stay. For me, I think I'll stay in camp 1 or 2, near the beginning of the hike, just to limit how far I drag my larger pack along the trail. These are about 2 miles in, with great views of some cliffs there. That may be an old man getting back in shape talking. The views do grow more spectacular as you go along.

Stayed 2 nights on this trail and hiked to Kolob Arch on the middle day. Even though I knew it was a big arch I was still surprised at the size. Trail was sandy and easy to follow as mentioned in the other reviews.

I was able to secure a same day BC permit as a walk in at 9:05 am, site three was my only option. Cold and windy at the Lee's Pass TH but a blue bird sky. This is an easy to moderate hike. The trail is easy to follow but is very sandy in most areas, made for some heavy walking. I reached campsite 3 after about 90 minutes of downhill to flat hiking. Set camp and continued on to Kolob Arch. Past campsites 4 though 13 on this hike with 6 to 10 being the prime area to secure. Just over an hour hike to the arch. Headed on up to Bear Trap canyon, trail got tighter but stll well defined. Reached the water fall about half a mile up the slot canyon. Headed back to camp. Very quiet and peaceful campsite. Hiked out at dawn. This would be a very hot hike in mid to late summer.