Hammond Canyon

Hammond Canyon is a 9 mile out and back trail located near Blanding, UT. The trail is only recommended for very experienced adventurers and primarily used for hiking.

9.0 miles 1900 feet Out & Back

This is a beautiful trail. We horseback rode it September 2011. The ride down from the little notch trail head was challenging in places. There are alot of switchbacks, great views of the canyon and even a small waterfall. Once down in the bottom water was plentiful at least when we were there. We followed bear tracks most of the way in the canyon but never saw the bear. We eventually took trail 005 up to cream pots. That trail becomes more of a desert type terrain and at the top is somewhat barren. Next time we will take the posey trail, 166. On the ride back we saw an Anasazi ruin that we missed coming in. We only saw one person and he was there to scope things out for a group he had coming in the next day to do some archelogical work. The ride back up out of the canyon was a chore for the horses but we just stopped often and let them catch their breath. Good thing we had them in shape. I would suggest any man or beast that hikes this be in pretty good shape as that climb out of the canyon will test you. Trails very well maintained. To do some prepareation I talked to the forest service ranger who is in charge of maintaining the trails. I need to mention him as he was very accomedating, friendly and informative. Brian Murdoch thank you very much.

This is a beautiful canyon with (in May 2010) plenty of water in the cool stream. There are several side trips to take to old Puebloan (sp?)/ Anasazi ruins. The BB Ruins are some of the most pristine in the area and it's worth it just to check them out. The trail is in great shape and easy to follow - with the exception of a lone marshy area. That could get overgrown quickly. We saw evidence of cats, coyotes and other animals, but no snakes (not that I'm complaining). It's lush and green, not what you'd expect in canyon country. I only saw one other person (outside of our group) in the week we were down there. Make sure to check out the Posey Trail for some amazing vistas!