Grandaddy Lake Trail

Grandaddy Lake Trail is a 6.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Hanna, Utah that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from July until September. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

fly fishing

From Heber City, take US Highway 40 east to SR 208 which is about 6 miles east of Fruitland. Head north on SR 208 for 10 miles to SR 35. Follow SR 35 northwest 10 miles to Hanna, From Hanna, follow a dirt road, Forest Road 144, 11 miles northwest to Hades Campground. Stay on the same road another 0.5 miles to a junction. Go right northeast about 5 steep miles to Grandview trailhead.

Great hike for a quick and not too strenuous adventure. We left earlier in the week (Wednesday) and it was fairly quiet...passed a few hikers. By Friday it was like a scout camp up there. Fishing was very poor except for power bait (but I'm kind of a fishing snob and power bait isn't fishing unless you're 5 learning how). Plus it's really over fished. It seems to be a popular place to hike with dogs ...I took mine and she loved it. The down side was a lot of barking at night. It was easily one of the most beautiful places I've been though and will go back. Next time I'll hike thru the basin over to mirror lake instead of stopping at Betsy. I'm also going to take my three girls on a daddy daughter trip...it's perfect for that

Also we went in early August and didn't kill a single mosquito...lucky I guess

Fun hike and beautiful lake. Plenty of places to set up camp and lots of springs to get water. Did a 3 day trip. Brought the dog and she loved it. It is a moderate hike with a heavy pack. Probably more on the easy side if you are just doing a day trip. Fishing was good. Please take care of fish and do as much catch as release fishing as you can. It is a natural reproducing lake and we want to keep the fish population healthy.

Great trail to the high mountain lakes. Still had some patches of snow to hike across in mid-June. Weather was perfect but have some water resistant shoes. We will definitely do this hike again.

bugs are scarry. millions of mosquitos. took a 6 year old and 8 year old. very pretty, stayed at Mohawk 1st night across the lake was a group of 20ish year old drunks... almost left in the middle of the night from the noise th hey were making. but stayed and sought revenge at out 6 am morning hike out... singing right next to their camp just off the trail. revenge is sweet. we hiked to pine island caught some big fish then went to secret lake and to lodgepole lake where we made camp 2. woke up early and hiked out... the wrong way around the lake.. there is not a very good trail on the south side of the lake. saw loads of elk sign. we heard them moving around early in the morning but didn't see any. great hike... but the bugs were horrible. wife has chicken pox looking legs and arms now... 100% deet did nothing.

Only hard part is the beginning from the trail head. Make sure to grab some water at one of the two early stream crossings - not a lot of water until you drop into Grandaddy. Pretty but very, very buggy in early July.

The trail was either very rocky or surprisingly sandy the whole way so that made it hard for my 9 yo's first backpacking trip. The lake was gorgeous and we found a decent spot FAR away from the trail and lake so we were able to do a small (legal) campfire but it was short-lived. The mosquitos were incessant. I killed over 5 dozen IN my tent (only opened the door to quickly get in/out) and we went to bed before 8pm just to get away from them. We came home early and I now look like my arms and back have chickenpox. They didn't care that I had a long-sleeve shirt on during dinner. Picardin AND deet are like a marinade for those beasts. Try spraying everything with permethrin beforehand, wear double layers and good luck!

This is one of the most beautiful basins I've been to in the Uintas. Travelers must be in good condition for the Hades Pass ascent, but the trail is pretty level inside the basin. Those horse packing should take care, though. Last summer I passed a dead horse, put down after breaking a leg in a mud hole, on the side of the trail about a mile from the trailhead.

fly fishing

I thought this area was absolutely breathtaking. According to the registry, I was the only one on the trail today. It's getting cold up there, it actually started snowing as I was climbing down, just glad it didn't start to stick to much. I brought the fly rod with my but didn't have much time to fish because it was getting so late. I can't wait to get back on this trail and see all the surrounding lakes.

We love this area. We have been here a couple of times, one of the best trips was hiking from Grandaddy Lake to Mirror Lake. It's a beautiful area with great fishing.

Great loop for a family backpack! We spent 3 days and 2 nights here with our family of 6 (plus our dog). Stayed at Fish Hatchery Lake our first night. There is a great big campsite on the NE side of the lake, visible from the trail. Over 200 yards from the lake, so it is legal (as opposed to many of the other lakeside campsites that the Rangers frown on). We were awakened by the sound of a pack of howling coyotes at one am, but they didn't come close and moved away quickly (a little spooky tho). We then hiked up to Pine Island Lake, Gov Dern Lake, Rainbow Lake (all very beautiful), then decided on a campsite on the north end of Grandaddy. We had heard this area was very crowded, but by hiking from a Monday morning to a Wednesday afternoon, we seemed to have missed the rush (large scout troops and people with horses were coming up the trail on Wednesday). Very helpful and friendly Rangers.

Love this area. Far too much traffic on this stretch though.

Very nice hike, up hill for the 1st 3 miles with some leveling off. Then down hill to the lake. Very rocky trail lots of loss rocks, tons of pothole lakes and streams.

Went up June 19 and the trail was 95% dry. There were some muddy spots down near the lake and if you wanted to venture past Gradaddy Lake. No snow at the top of the pass and the flow rate of Hades Creek is amazing. Bring your deet because the mosquitos are killer.

Great hike went in mid June of last year. We had our base camp at granddaddy lake and stayed for 4 days we went on day hikes from there, I lost count of how many fish I caught on the trip they bit anything I threw in the lake! Overall a fantastic backpacking trip!

Amazing and rugged views. My friends and I did it on the 1st of November and were greeted by stiff winds and snow.

Despite how late it was in the season, it was simply beautiful.

First, don't try to take this trail in early June like my group did. There's tons of snow along the trail at the top still. It was an interesting paradox between the sandstone and snow, which gave this hike some unique beauty. Most of the hike, if not all of it, was easy and relatively flat. Most of the hike is above 10k ft, so hope you bring your lungs with you! Take your dog along with you for this one, they'll thank you for it!

Great for backpacking and fishing