Grandaddy Lake Trail

Grandaddy Lake Trail is a 3.1 mile heavily trafficked point-to-point trail located near Hanna, UT that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from July until September. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

3.1 miles 946 feet Point to Point

fly fishing

From Heber City, take US Highway 40 east to SR 208 which is about 6 miles east of Fruitland. Head north on SR 208 for 10 miles to SR 35. Follow SR 35 northwest 10 miles to Hanna, From Hanna, follow a dirt road, Forest Road 144, 11 miles northwest to Hades Campground. Stay on the same road another 0.5 miles to a junction. Go right northeast about 5 steep miles to Grandview trailhead.

Fun hike and beautiful lake. Plenty of places to set up camp and lots of springs to get water. Did a 3 day trip. Brought the dog and she loved it. It is a moderate hike with a heavy pack. Probably more on the easy side if you are just doing a day trip. Fishing was good. Please take care of fish and do as much catch as release fishing as you can. It is a natural reproducing lake and we want to keep the fish population healthy.

Great trail to the high mountain lakes. Still had some patches of snow to hike across in mid-June. Weather was perfect but have some water resistant shoes. We will definitely do this hike again.

Only hard part is the beginning from the trail head. Make sure to grab some water at one of the two early stream crossings - not a lot of water until you drop into Grandaddy. Pretty but very, very buggy in early July.

fly fishing

I thought this area was absolutely breathtaking. According to the registry, I was the only one on the trail today. It's getting cold up there, it actually started snowing as I was climbing down, just glad it didn't start to stick to much. I brought the fly rod with my but didn't have much time to fish because it was getting so late. I can't wait to get back on this trail and see all the surrounding lakes.

We love this area. We have been here a couple of times, one of the best trips was hiking from Grandaddy Lake to Mirror Lake. It's a beautiful area with great fishing.

Love this area. Far too much traffic on this stretch though.

Very nice hike, up hill for the 1st 3 miles with some leveling off. Then down hill to the lake. Very rocky trail lots of loss rocks, tons of pothole lakes and streams.

Went up June 19 and the trail was 95% dry. There were some muddy spots down near the lake and if you wanted to venture past Gradaddy Lake. No snow at the top of the pass and the flow rate of Hades Creek is amazing. Bring your deet because the mosquitos are killer.

Great hike went in mid June of last year. We had our base camp at granddaddy lake and stayed for 4 days we went on day hikes from there, I lost count of how many fish I caught on the trip they bit anything I threw in the lake! Overall a fantastic backpacking trip!

Amazing and rugged views. My friends and I did it on the 1st of November and were greeted by stiff winds and snow.

Despite how late it was in the season, it was simply beautiful.

First, don't try to take this trail in early June like my group did. There's tons of snow along the trail at the top still. It was an interesting paradox between the sandstone and snow, which gave this hike some unique beauty. Most of the hike, if not all of it, was easy and relatively flat. Most of the hike is above 10k ft, so hope you bring your lungs with you! Take your dog along with you for this one, they'll thank you for it!

Good trail, not too difficult. We camped next to Mohawk Lake and Betsy Lake. We camped and fished and made day hikes to some of the little lakes we saw on the map. Awesome, I'm already planning my next trip.

Personally, this is my favorite backpacking place in Utah. It can get freezing cold even in July and August, and I can pretty much guarantee you'll deal with rain/snow regardless of season or weather in the near metropolitan areas. It's a busy trail, but there are so many lakes and places to see it doesn't feel like it once you get past Grandaddy Lake. Fish will bite seemingly any fly you throw in. It's an easy hike on paper, but the high elevation really makes a big difference.
Trailhead is usually unreachable until mid June, and unfortunately it's tough to get any information on trail conditions even when calling the Forrest service.

East hike to get into, bumpy road to get there. East climb to the pass then drop down to Grandaddy Lake. Great lake to base camp and wander around the many trails that are in the basin

Awesome views