Grandaddy Basin Trail

Grandaddy Basin Trail is a 3.1 mile heavily trafficked point-to-point trail located near Hanna, UT that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and fishing and is accessible from July until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

3.1 miles 905 feet Point to Point

From Heber City, take US Highway 40 east to SR 208 which is about 6 miles east of Fruitland. Head north on SR 208 for 10 miles to SR 35. Follow SR 35 northwest 10 miles to Hanna, From Hanna, follow a dirt road, Forest Road 144, 11 miles northwest to Hades Campground. Stay on the same road another 0.5 miles to a junction. Go right northeast about 5 steep miles to Grandview trailhead.

bugs are scarry. millions of mosquitos. took a 6 year old and 8 year old. very pretty, stayed at Mohawk 1st night across the lake was a group of 20ish year old drunks... almost left in the middle of the night from the noise th hey were making. but stayed and sought revenge at out 6 am morning hike out... singing right next to their camp just off the trail. revenge is sweet. we hiked to pine island caught some big fish then went to secret lake and to lodgepole lake where we made camp 2. woke up early and hiked out... the wrong way around the lake.. there is not a very good trail on the south side of the lake. saw loads of elk sign. we heard them moving around early in the morning but didn't see any. great hike... but the bugs were horrible. wife has chicken pox looking legs and arms now... 100% deet did nothing.

The trail was either very rocky or surprisingly sandy the whole way so that made it hard for my 9 yo's first backpacking trip. The lake was gorgeous and we found a decent spot FAR away from the trail and lake so we were able to do a small (legal) campfire but it was short-lived. The mosquitos were incessant. I killed over 5 dozen IN my tent (only opened the door to quickly get in/out) and we went to bed before 8pm just to get away from them. We came home early and I now look like my arms and back have chickenpox. They didn't care that I had a long-sleeve shirt on during dinner. Picardin AND deet are like a marinade for those beasts. Try spraying everything with permethrin beforehand, wear double layers and good luck!

This is one of the most beautiful basins I've been to in the Uintas. Travelers must be in good condition for the Hades Pass ascent, but the trail is pretty level inside the basin. Those horse packing should take care, though. Last summer I passed a dead horse, put down after breaking a leg in a mud hole, on the side of the trail about a mile from the trailhead.

Great loop for a family backpack! We spent 3 days and 2 nights here with our family of 6 (plus our dog). Stayed at Fish Hatchery Lake our first night. There is a great big campsite on the NE side of the lake, visible from the trail. Over 200 yards from the lake, so it is legal (as opposed to many of the other lakeside campsites that the Rangers frown on). We were awakened by the sound of a pack of howling coyotes at one am, but they didn't come close and moved away quickly (a little spooky tho). We then hiked up to Pine Island Lake, Gov Dern Lake, Rainbow Lake (all very beautiful), then decided on a campsite on the north end of Grandaddy. We had heard this area was very crowded, but by hiking from a Monday morning to a Wednesday afternoon, we seemed to have missed the rush (large scout troops and people with horses were coming up the trail on Wednesday). Very helpful and friendly Rangers.

Great for backpacking and fishing

Nice loop. Once you go over the pass and drop down into the basis is fairly flat and has lots and lots of lakes to choose from. Trail is well maintained