Gold Bar Rim

Gold Bar Rim is a 15.2 mile out and back trail located near Moab, UT that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

off road driving

Fun trail for 4X4 action with lots of scenery. I did the trifecta which is Poison Spider, Golden Spike, and Gold Bar Rim. It took me over 12 hours to complete but well worth the effort.

My Experience

I started the trail early on a sunny Monday morning, from an empty trailhead. The trail starts with a climb up Gemini Bridges Road, although its a high elevation gain, the ride is actually not too bad. After about 20 min. climb, you dip back down into a valley and ride through a kind of canyon, this is an easy ride that takes you to the actual start of the Gold Bar Rim. this section starts off very sandy, but it doesnt take long before you hit the slickrock, and the start of a 2-5 hour climb. I must say, unlike the guide books say, I did not have any trouble climbing the Gold Bar Rim, Yes there are some very steep climbing sections, but with the grip on the slickrock, just put your steed into Granny Gear, and just switch off.
Getting to the top of Gold Bar Rim is pretty straight forward, but connecting Gold Bar Rim to the Portage was brutal, saying this, there are easier trails to connect to the Portal, but I took the High Rim trail ( follow blue paint markings and cairns) This section is extremely technical and some spots are very dangerous and any errors will definitely mean death. I would rate this section a 4 5. Anyone with a fear of heights and extremely narrow sections with 800 ft drops should NOT consider this section, and follow the lower Spike Trail.

Conclusion

The Gold Bar Rim Trail is a very nice ride, it is very scenic, and has a remote feeling to it. If you like remote rides, and like playing on Slickrock, then you should definitely give this one a try. It is a very long long climb, but it is actually not too bad. This trail can be an out and back, or a shuttle from the Portage or Poison Spider.

Next time I do this trail, I will come up the Poison Spider, and down the Gold Bar Rim, I think this would make a fantastic ride.

Other Info:

Traffic on Trail : 5 motor cyclists and 2 44′s
Wild Life : who needs wildlife on a ride like this!?
Scenery : Absolutely Fantastic 360 degree 3D Scenery
Other : Take plenty of fluids and energy bars. If you do not like sheer heights, DO NOT attempt the higher route to connect to the Portage or Poison Spider, this section is extremely difficult and dangerous.

My Trail Rating : 9 / 10