Gobblers Knob via Alexander Basin Trail

Gobblers Knob via Alexander Basin Trail is a 4.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Salt Lake City, UT and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and cross country skiing and is accessible from May until December.

Directions from Salt Lake City: Follow Mill Creek Canyon Road (3800 South Wasatch Blvd.) 7.8 miles up the canyon. Go past Elbow Fork and below Thousand Springs.

This hike was a good one! Its really steep right at the beginning, mellows out for a little ways then gets steep when you are walking up the final 1/2 mile. Saw a moose and some Elk on the way up. The trail was muddy since it is in the shade the entire way.

Majestic and worth the climb.

This is my new favorite hike up the Millcreek area! Defiantly a rough hike for me (especially because I was carrying a 47lb pack with a toddler in it), it took me four hours to complete the entire hike. The views were amazing! We did the hike late September and the fall foliage was beautiful. I'm definitely doing this one again!

very pretty. Pretty difficult.

Really Beautiful hike with steeper climbs alternating between lovely meadow/basin areas. I saw two young bull moose hanging out about 2/3 of the way up, it seems this area is a favorite for moose. No question that it's steep, but well worth it with a gorgeous trail and rewarding summit with wonderful views.

Great trail! Very steep in most sections. Somewhat slippery over gravel and sand. Beautiful views! Our dog loved it too.

difficult hike, some light scrambling towards the top, view is amazing at the top. A lot of trees to start and then little shade, sun exposure is a lot so bring tons of water. We went mid afternoon and I went through 4 liters of water plus! Love that dogs are allowed!

I gave this trail a five because of the views from the summit. As mentioned by others this is a steep trail. The recorded track came in at 2,800+ ft in less than a 2 miles. Trekking poles were very helpful on the steep parts coming down. Just missed seeing three moose by 15 minutes

Beautiful trail, lots of wildflowers, great views and a good likelihood of seeing moose. Very steep trail though so wear shoes with good traction for the way back down.

Spectacular views although go early or later in the year. Despite are early departure Me and my fellow hiker drank all of our water going up (2 liters each). I had to run across the road to the creek at thr end to cool off! Dont attempt in the extreme heat!

Great out and back hike to start late in the day. The wildlife was fantastic, 5 moose total: 3 bulls a cow and calf.

Great hike, do it soon because the flowers are absolutely amazing on the upper basin and ridge line! Two things to note about this trail: the trailhead is 7100ft and Gobblers Knob is about 10250ft, so the 1600ft gain listed here is laughably inaccurate. Second, I've seen at least one moose in the upper basin every time I've done this hike so be aware of your surroundings, don't have headphones in, etc.

Great hike! It's only 2.6 miles one way to the summit, but the steep pitch really wears you out. It took me about 3.5 hours round trip as well, with a steady pace of walking and running. It could take up to 5 hours if you don't hike much, but any hiker can do and will enjoy the hike.

This trail isn't bashful about a climb. Worth it at the top though!

We reached Alexander's via Bowman Fork. It was quite the bushwhacking experience!! Gorgeous views amazing foliage and quite the hike. Not for the faint of heart! Definitely worth the effort. As others have mentioned lots of biting flies. Be sure to take repellant.

This is a great hike! Took me closer to 3.5 hours round trip then the suggested 5 hours. The trail is fairly steep but each peak takes you into another basin. The final summit is more of a scramble up rocks (bring poles) but the views and flowers up here are well worth the trip! There were some large biting flies so I would suggest putting on repellant before hand.

Beautiful!