Geertson & Shupe Canyon Trail

DIFFICULTY 3 reviews

Geertson & Shupe Canyon Trail is a 12 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Huntsville, UT that features beautiful wild flowers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, and birding and is accessible from April until December.

Primitive trail climbing Geertsen canyon with a great view of Pineview Reservoir, and then turning east through Shupe canyon. Connects with Middle Fork Canyon for the return trip of the loop. Area is closed from December to the second Saturday in April. Trail starts through grassy meadows where you can see various wildlife and livestock. Once it crosses Powerline Trail, your path quickly becomes primitive as you make your way up Geertsen and into Shupe. This hike is very difficult but provides fantastic views of the entire valley.

Challenging hike with steady incline and rough overgrown trail in sections but well worth the hike. Plan on a few hours if your going to the top. I didn't see one other person on the trail. Hiked the canyon sept 21 very Pretty and great views

Only hiked this trail a little bit today and did not make it up to my favorite part in the canyon. Last year we had come across a den of foxes and upon inspection the den had been abandoned. However, a new den was about 100 yards away and we heard movement as we passed by.

One of my favorite canyons - abundant wildflowers, some cool old trees, and interesting rock formations. Bring plenty of water and long pants since you will lose the trail at various points during the hike. I haven't made it into the Shupe Canyon sectionyet, but am planning to get out there soon and will mark it as completed once I finish the hike.