Frying Pan Trail

Frying Pan Trail is a 6.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Torrey, UT that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is accessible year-round.

6.5 miles 2071 feet Out & Back

Directions from Capitol Reef Visitor Center: Hickman Bridge Access: Drive eastward on Highway 24 approximately 1.5 miles to the Hickman Bridge Trailhead. Park at this trailhead and cross the highway to the Cohab Canyon Trail's northern terminus. Follow Cohab Canyon Trail three-quarters of a mile to Frying Pan Trail junction.

This is a great trail. We started at the Cohab Canyon trailhead, checked out the overlook, then continued on the Frying Pan Trail to Cassidy Arch, then down the Grand Wash Trail. I was able to hitch a short ride back to the car. Amazing scenery, great variety, One of my favorite hikes of all time! I think we did the hike in November, so there was a skiff of snow here and there. But the day was sunny and cool and perfect for hiking!

This isn't a trail you can jump right on to from a trailhead. You either have to access it via Cohab Canyon from the N/NW or come from the South from Cassidy Arch Trail. This trail connects the two. Of this entire section (Cohab to Cassidy), this section was my least favorite. The views were great, and there was literally NOBODY else on the trail all day, but some of the cairns were poorly kept and placed. I found myself rebuilding some that had been destroyed as I returned to the trailhead. 80-90% of them are fine, but 10% is just enough to make you nervous several times along the trail. I'd recommend bringing a GPS to track your footprint in case you need to backtrack. My reflection of this section is not true for the entire Cohab-Cassidy Arch trail, which overall was a great experience.

Hike this trail in two sections. From the campground to US24 one day and from the campgrond to Cassidy Arch. Very scenic trail. Lots of ups and down on the trail to Cassidy Arch.