Fifth Water Hot Springs Trail

Fifth Water Hot Springs Trail is a 5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Spanish Fork, UT that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

hot springs

These hot springs are a very fun and scenic attraction. There are several pools of varying temperatures and a waterfall. Fifth Water Hot Springs are located in Diamond Fork Canyon, which splits off from Spanish Fork Canyon. Total drive time from Spanish Fork, Utah is about a half hour on paved roads. At the trailhead, there is lots of parking and a bathroom. From the trailhead, follow the trail southeast along the east bank of Sixth Water Creek. Do not cross the foot bridge. After 1.0 mile, you will come to another foot bridge, which you should cross. This is the junction of Sixth Water Creek (from the left) and Fifth Water Creek (from the right). About a mile after the footbridge, the water will turn milky blue and start smelling like sulfur. You're getting close. But don't worry, the Fifth Water Hot Springs don't smell bad. At 1.2 miles from the footbridge, you'll see the lower hot springs on your right. Someone built a rock pool and diverted the hot water into it, so it's pretty deep. Another 20 yards upstream are two other hot springs. One is on the left side of the river about 50 feet downstream from the base of the waterfall, and the other is on the right side of the river about 50 feet downstream from the base of the waterfall.

We went on a Saturday night (tonight). One of the busiest trails I've ever been on (trying not to exaggerate). We watched a police officer give 6 tickets to cars parked illegally so don't park next to a no parking sign. Easy hike. Too many kids.

We enjoyed this hike for the most part - the pools are really pretty, and I can't believe the water was so incredibly blue!!

The smell of sulfur was really horrible for about a third of the hike. I guess this varies, so it may or may not be bad when you go. It gave us both headaches, and we considered turning around. It wasn't as bad by the falls.

I was an idiot and threw our clothes in the washing machine with a full load, and we've washed them five times, using different advice we've found online and still can't seem to get the sulfur smell out of them. So I'd suggest taking clothes you don't care about and not washing them with ones you do!

The ending was quite rewarding with a dip in the hot spring. Wear good footwear as I didn't the last time I hiked to this place. There are also narrow paths that mountain bikers zoom through. I thought I'd get hit. So, keep watch.

Loved it. Not too hot. Go during weekday and go al natural like my man.

I love this trail. Very shaded for summer and beautiful in the fall with all the colors and leaves falling. I did this trail last January as well and the road was closed to the trailhead. So be careful if going after they shut the road down for winter. It adds 8 miles to the 5 mile trail.

I've wanted to do this hike for years! It was very busy and we had to park down the road a quarter of a mile. Those who parked illegally had tickets on their windows. Don't risk it. We went on a Saturday at 4:30 PM and finished just as it got dark. We weren't fortunate enough to see any naked people. Ha ha!! The kids had fun holding a snake that we found on the trail. I highly recommend the hot pots near the waterfall. It was the perfect temperature this time of year.

Easy hike, drive out from slc before the sun comes up to drive into an awesome sunrise and hike in with no people. Did Friday morning and had the whole place to yourself, except for some campers that were camped along the trail. A lot of great places to camp and pre-made fire rings. Good for kids and families.

Very nice hike, the reward is worth it. It's a nice easy flat hike. Takes about 2 hours, a good hike for a first date.

Busy, busy, busy. Fun to do on a weeknight at night. Less people. DON'T GO ON A SATURDAY! :)

Great hike at this time of year. The fall colors were spectacular. There were a lot of people at the hot spring pools but still enough room to test out the water. Not bad of a hike for kids too but not for strollers.

We made the mistake of going on this hike during Memorial Day weekend. The parking lot and roads were crowded, as well as the hiking trail. Once we arrived, our group of 10 people decided not to go into the hot springs because it was just too crowded. The people there also don't have any regards for nature and the water felt slimy from all the trash. There were people smoking and drinking who just threw their buds and bottles into the hot springs. Always stupid people who have to ruin it for the rest of us.

BUT...the top of the trail was still a great place to hangout and picnic with friends. We sat on one of the big rocks at the top, which had a nice view overlooking the hot springs. The dogs enjoyed splashing around and it was still enjoyable dipping our feet in once the weather got cooler.

This was a great hike last weekend. The colors were amazing. As far as the hike goes, very moderate with very small inclines. The hike took a little over an hour at a comfortable pace. There was a lot of people at the springs bathing but hell its a free country. Everyone was polite and enjoying the area in their own way. The springs are pretty warm in spots so be careful with the kids so they do not get burned by the water. My group has kids from 8-11 and they all did fine.
Side note...some reviewers complain about the kids because they can't let their dicks hang out at the pools. My advice to these people is don't be entitled. As soon as you purchase the land feel free to exclude children so you can base nude. Until then be a reasonable human and if you feel the need to bath in the nude on public lands camp in the area and hike up later in the evening when kids will not be there. I imagine that in the evening it would be pretty awesome with a wide open view of the night sky as well.

If you've been to this spring in the past DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME GOING NOW. I've been here several times and never saw any kids as this used to be an adult spot with nude bathers. I went yesterday and was disappointed to find kids swarming everywhere and an overflowing parking lot at the trailhead. I made sure to get there early and was fortunate to have a fairly secluded spot to myself but I counted at least 40 people and more kids on my way out. This used to be one of my favorite spots but I won't be back again.

On a 40 degree and rainy day this was absolutely perfect. Only a few other people there l, it was so peaceful. I'm used to much longer hikes but in rainy weather this one is a perfect choice.

Love this hike!

Forgot to mention - When we went in early July the smell was pretty bad, including a bit on the way up. When I went two weeks later, on July 21, it barely smelled at all. Not sure why. The falls weren't as strong. Wonder if that's why.

We went early. Hit the trail at 7:30am. We saw almost no one on the trail and just one couple at the hot pots. We passed a bunch of people coming up as we were coming down. I recommend you go early. Also, the parking lot only had one other car when we got there. When we left it was completely full and then some.

Wonderful hike! Challenging enough to keep it interesting, but not super hard. Gorgeous the entire way! I feel like this is a real treasure. Everyone who lives in the area should see the hot springs at least once. I've been once again since and plan to go back soon, to see it with the fall colors.