Fifth Water Hot Springs Trail

Fifth Water Hot Springs Trail is a 5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Spanish Fork, Utah that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

hot springs

These hot springs are a very fun and scenic attraction. There are several pools of varying temperatures and a waterfall. Fifth Water Hot Springs are located in Diamond Fork Canyon, which splits off from Spanish Fork Canyon. Total drive time from Spanish Fork, Utah is about a half hour on paved roads. At the trailhead, there is lots of parking and a bathroom. From the trailhead, follow the trail southeast along the east bank of Sixth Water Creek. Do not cross the foot bridge. After 1.0 mile, you will come to another foot bridge, which you should cross. This is the junction of Sixth Water Creek (from the left) and Fifth Water Creek (from the right). About a mile after the footbridge, the water will turn milky blue and start smelling like sulfur. You're getting close. But don't worry, the Fifth Water Hot Springs don't smell bad. At 1.2 miles from the footbridge, you'll see the lower hot springs on your right. Someone built a rock pool and diverted the hot water into it, so it's pretty deep. Another 20 yards upstream are two other hot springs. One is on the left side of the river about 50 feet downstream from the base of the waterfall, and the other is on the right side of the river about 50 feet downstream from the base of the waterfall.

We went yesterday and started our hike around 2pm which got us to the hot springs by 5pm. The snow is pretty well packed on the entire trail so no snowshoes required. We wore snow boots but saw some people hiking in running shoes. We had to hike back in the dark but it was absolutely worth it because by the time we got to the hot springs at 5pm, most people had cleared out and we had a pool all to ourselves. The hike back in the dark wasn't bad because it was a full moon and the stars were beautiful. We forgot a headlamp and would definitely recommend bringing a lamp or flashlight if you're going to do the hike in the dark. Flip flops are also a good idea if you want to walk from pool to pool.

These hot springs are extremely popular, pretty much anytime you go. Normally this trail is only about 3 miles round trip but in the winter when the gate is closed the total is about 12 miles. We thought the cold, snow, and extra miles would thin out the crowds but we were mistaken. We went on January 14, 2017 and the gate was closed and the trail packed down in snow so you don't need snow shoes or even boots if you don't want. The hike took us about 4 hours plus about an hour soak in the hot springs and if you're ok cozying up with your new best hot spring friends you can enjoy the very warm pools or if you are a little more shy there are plenty of warm but not as warm pools to soak in as well. The sulfur is strong so you may want to take some precentarive measures so it doesn't end up taking over you life, I.e. Plastic bag for your swimsuit, limit the amount of clothes that come in contact with the pool, wash separately, etc. All in all this is a must do hike for anyone Utahn because let's face it, we only have a small amount of hot springs to enjoy. #fifthwaterhotsprings #hotsprings #daimondfork #spanishforkcanyon #hiking #beautahful #utahisrad

I just can say , It Was a Great Hike!

A friend and I made the hike on 19 Dec 2016. The gate was closed on Diamond Fork Road FR029 a little west of Red Ledges canyon. We parked at the gate at about 4pm. We hiked for about 3.5 miles along the road from the gate to the trailhead. Then from the trailhead it was the traditional 2.5 miles to the hot springs.

From the trailhead we hiked along the trail, passing the first bridge at the beginning and crossing the second bridge at a little less than the 2 mile mark. The bridge passed over Fifth Water. After a little more than 0.5 miles from the bridge, the springs and waterfall were on the right. It took us almost exactly 2hrs to hike the 6 miles in. We arrived after sunset, but the temperature wasn't bad. The trail was completely snowed, however it was firmly packed. I did it in Vans and some wool socks. Soaked for a few hours and hiked out at midnight. It took us 2hrs for the 6 miles back out.

And that was the trip. The springs were perfect.

I hiked this five days ago and the gate was closed. It took me about an hour and a half to get to the trailhead from the gate. About 6hrs round trip including the time we spent in the pools. I'd consider my pace faster than the average hiker.

Anyway, it's beautiful! Especially with the snow! And we only ran into two other couples in the time we were there. Well worth the time and effort.

We went on a Saturday night (tonight). One of the busiest trails I've ever been on (trying not to exaggerate). We watched a police officer give 6 tickets to cars parked illegally so don't park next to a no parking sign. Easy hike. Too many kids.

We enjoyed this hike for the most part - the pools are really pretty, and I can't believe the water was so incredibly blue!!

The smell of sulfur was really horrible for about a third of the hike. I guess this varies, so it may or may not be bad when you go. It gave us both headaches, and we considered turning around. It wasn't as bad by the falls.

I was an idiot and threw our clothes in the washing machine with a full load, and we've washed them five times, using different advice we've found online and still can't seem to get the sulfur smell out of them. So I'd suggest taking clothes you don't care about and not washing them with ones you do!

The ending was quite rewarding with a dip in the hot spring. Wear good footwear as I didn't the last time I hiked to this place. There are also narrow paths that mountain bikers zoom through. I thought I'd get hit. So, keep watch.

Loved it. Not too hot. Go during weekday and go al natural like my man.

I love this trail. Very shaded for summer and beautiful in the fall with all the colors and leaves falling. I did this trail last January as well and the road was closed to the trailhead. So be careful if going after they shut the road down for winter. It adds 8 miles to the 5 mile trail.

I've wanted to do this hike for years! It was very busy and we had to park down the road a quarter of a mile. Those who parked illegally had tickets on their windows. Don't risk it. We went on a Saturday at 4:30 PM and finished just as it got dark. We weren't fortunate enough to see any naked people. Ha ha!! The kids had fun holding a snake that we found on the trail. I highly recommend the hot pots near the waterfall. It was the perfect temperature this time of year.

Easy hike, drive out from slc before the sun comes up to drive into an awesome sunrise and hike in with no people. Did Friday morning and had the whole place to yourself, except for some campers that were camped along the trail. A lot of great places to camp and pre-made fire rings. Good for kids and families.

Very nice hike, the reward is worth it. It's a nice easy flat hike. Takes about 2 hours, a good hike for a first date.