Fiery Furnace

Fiery Furnace is a 2 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Moab, UT that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from April until September.

Directions from Main Park Entrance: Drive 14.2 miles northward along the park road to the Fiery Furnace Viewpoint.

Super fun sights and views in sweeping canyons! My group even found an arch that's not on the given path - on the section between the out-and-back paths to Skull Arch and the other, smaller arch nearer to the start of the trail, look for a slot canyon offshoot to the east (easiest to spot when approaching from the south) that leads to a big rock wash basin that we dubbed "the toilet bowl", which is partly made up of a medium-sized arch. There's a big boulder of a completely different rock type than its surroundings in the wash basin, too. My only complaint for this hike is that the going can be a little slow sometimes when you inevitably get lost, but other that that, this is an awesome place to roam around.

IMPORTANT: It's not obvious in the description here, but you do either have to get a backcountry permit one day in advance from the visitors center or buy a ticket for a ranger-led hike in order to go into the Furnace.

Happy exploring!

Fantastic ranger-guided tour. We found the trail itself easy, but with a few difficult-level features squeezing through and climbing up/down. Those were still easily-handled by everyone who was in good physical condition (including children), but there were a few adults in our tour group who were out of shape and did not have the strength (and proper hiking shoes) they should have had to handle those elements. They slipped and fell repeatedly, could not handle even the bouldering without a lot of assistance, and could barely walk by the end of the three hours. For them, this was a very difficult and dangerous trail with a lot of possibilities for injury. Make sure you are in good physical condition before you take on a trail with features like this one. That said, we absolutely loved the area and highly recommend it. Get your tour spot early!

We took the guided tour with the ranger, it was nice, might be more fun trying it by yourself, but I could see people getting lost in here, it is a maze. would do again with someone that new their way around, probably would not take the guided tour again though

This was an awesome hike easy to challenging depending on what you opted to do. We hired an awesome guide from Desert Expeditions who was experience and informative and gave us different a options based on our abilities.

This is a one-of-a-kind hiking experience. No trail to follow. Just amazing fin canyons in and around amazing rocks and cliffs. Easy to get lost. !st time we had someone that had been through as a kid, so we were able to watch the video and get permits for our own exploration. Much easier that way to get permits. I've been twice since then and always without a ranger. Important to remember where you have been so you can backtrack out if needed. One of my favorite all-time places to hike!

It doesn't get better than this! Bouldering, climbing, squeezing through tight rock crevices. The scenery is absolutely beautiful. Not too much ascending or descending but the rocks can get slippery on a rainy day (like today). But that shouldn't discourage you. There are so many arches and interesting things to see that was happy to slow down and take my time to finish the loop.

We got the permit and explored this amazing and very fragile environment on our own. It is highly suggested that you join the ranger guided tour if you are not familiar with the fiery furnace. It entails a lot of climbing, back tracking from some of the sights, rock scrambles, and knowledge of were to place your feet so you minimize damage. There is no trail. It is easy to lose your direction and lose landmarks. There is no trail and following the footsteps of others can lead you astray. If you want beauty and adventure to a little research and go. Each time leads to a new discovery. It is never the same hike twice!

Has to be taken with a guide. Easy hikeI enjoyed but won't do again.

did a ranger guided tour. very informative. hike had some moderately difficult spots but nothing to bad, plenty of breaks to explore various caverns. would love to do again on my own

If you are looking for a real adventure, one into the true solitude of the Utah desert, then the fiery furnace is the most accessible place to find this. There are no marked trails inside and it is the responsibility of everyone who enters to leave this amazing place just as they found it for the next. You will follow the wash through sandstone fins, some that have collapsed into behemoth boulders leaving you only two options, to turn around or find a way through. Climb over sandstone and experience unique slot canyons in complete solitude. It is against park regulations to follow another group of hikers. So you will be alone inside the labyrinth. This is one of my favorite places in Moab and I return here frequently. You can take a ranger guided tour or acquire a permit and enter it yourself. Be sure to check ahead of time for permits and guided tours!

View some awesome pics I got while taking some interns from into the furnace for the first time! http://adventeurs.com/the-fiery-furnace-arches-national-park-utah/

Loved this hike!

Last time, the tours were unavailable. i lucked in to the one last spot with the Ranger. It wasn't strenuous - yes, you have to hop and climb a bit, but even a little kid managed just fine. The Ranger was very safety conscious for all skill levels. It was informative - covering a wide variety of topics. Now that I know the route, I would definitely like to get a permit to explore more on my own. Unfortunately, due to people straying off the trail, they are discussing eliminating all permits other than official tours.

My Wife and I took this hike with Molly from Moab Adventure Center and were both equally impressed. Molly is a wealth of knowledge and humor so it was fun, light and very informative. I only with it was longer! Could easily spend days wandering through there.

I took the ranger led hike as it is one of the only ways into this particular area. Well worth the $10.00 fee. I found amusing the are you sure you want to do this / are you fit enough to do this questions at the visitor center when I picked up the tickets. The ranger did have good information. Awesome scenery.

I highly recommend the ranger-led trail through fiery furnace. The rangers provide a lot of information about the plants, animals, ecosystem, geology, etc. The hike itself is not difficult if you're in fit condition. If you're not, keep in mind that you will be slowing down an entire group of people and inconveniencing a lot more than just yourself. And - I can't believe I actually have to say this - but don't show up drunk to a group hike - or any hike, for that matter! I mean, come on!

Good trail. Lots of traffic with the tours but well worth it.

Took the guided tour with a ranger. Would like to explore on my own next time

Easy guided hike with ranger. Several scary spots for agoraphobes. Lots of shade and stops for talks. Great for a hot afternoon.