Adam's Cabin Trail

Adam's Cabin Trail is a 5.7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Layton, UT that features a great forest setting and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Hike and a cabin for the Night Just a few miles East of Fernwood park you will find an old Stone cabin This cabin is on National Forest land and is available for public use. The cabin is popular during hunting season and gets occasional use during the summer months. The hike to the cabin is about 2600 feet vertical in about 2.6 miles. The trail is steep and rough. To get to the cabin start at N 41 degrees 05.279' and W 111 degrees 53.873' where you will cross the stream and follow a very well used trail. You should be overlooking the valley soon from this point. Continue to follow this trail which will soon turn due east and become very steep as it heads up the mountain ridge. At 6300 feet you will be in oaks. Continue to the fork which will lead you to an old abandoned cabin with a dirt floor, sheet metal roof and stone walls, elevation 7650 ft. So whether you need a good day hike or want to spend a quite night in the mountains you will find a refuge here in the cabin.

Has anyone seen elk up there and can you hunt up that way

This trail was harder than anticipated, felt it in my legs for days following, but worth it! Beautiful views, cool little cabin and a great workout! Thick brush towards the top makes it easy to lose sight of who you're with and the trail! Good idea to keep tracking Device the first time for this reason.

Woo Hoo!! What an amazing workout!! I love reading the complaints about hard hikes.. You DID read its hard right?

What a great hike though! Follow this map on this app to find the trailhead its not marked but this map took us straight to it. most of the trail is easy to follow last 1/4 mile is a little overgrown, so if you have sissy girly legs, wear pants. Once you get to the cabin beware of the bear and please clean up your garbage.

Nope we didn't see anyone else the whole time, which was great and the way we prefer it! We did run out of water and it is almost in the sun the whole way.. we had about 75 oz water each and should have packed more. If you leave earlier in the morning you should be fine, we got a later start around 11 at the end of august.

Would do again, just not right away, Im very tired lol.

Steep rough trek up the ridge. Mostly up on the way to the cabin. Takes me about 4 hours.

Difficult!!! And overgrown. My legs got all scratched up and never saw another person on the trail. Hard to get correct trail. At the top of switchbacks go up the ominous huge hill that doesn't look like a trail. One of my least favorite hikes.

Since no one else has said it yet, I will; this trail is BRUTAL. I don't much care for steeper trails, and this one averages out at over 1200 ft. per mile.
But of course, I was curious to see the cabin and its surrounding scenery, so I ventured out on it anyway. While I will say it was worth the effort once reaching the top, I will not be attempting this trail again anytime soon. The descent back down alone was almost more difficult than the actual climb itself because it was so steep, and there is loose gravel virtually everywhere. Very difficult to get a solid footing. While I may not be the most avid hiker out there, I do enjoy a good challenge once in a while.... this one definitely put me to the test both physically, and mentally. If you're considering attempting this trail and it's your first time, make sure you give yourself PLENTY of time to complete it from start to finish (considering you're not planning to camp overnight at the top). It took me 6.5 hrs, 4 being the total amount to get to the top. Even on a cooler day, the sun will beat down on you and take quite a bit of your energy, so stop for shade and breaks as often as you need, and take PLENTY of water (I thought three 24oz. bottles and 2 protein bars was enough... I should have packed at least 1 more of each). Also, the cabin itself, although cool-looking, was actually pretty creepy once inside lol... I personally would not sleep in it. But there is a very nice opening about 50-60 yrds. up from it that's perfect for pitching a tent (you reach it right before descending to the cabin). The view of the mountains opposite from you are absolutely gorgeous! And so much easier to view from the camp spot because there are far less trees blocking the view. Overall, probably a much more enjoyable experience for the die-hard hiker. However, if you're like me, then it's probably only worth a once in a lifetime haul. That being said, you should definitely make sure you are well prepared for it either way. Have fun!

Had a blast and enjoyed the burn.

This hike is pretty unforgiving during hot summer days. Early mornings or late afternoons are the only times I would suggest venturing out on this trail. Make sure to bring lots and lots of water!

it was steep but wasn't that bad beautiful and the cabin looked cool

This trail is very hard, you are always going up, and the terrain gets steep in some areas so it becomes a little more difficult in some parts, the first 300 ft ir so once you pass the Shoreline Trail and start the climb are a steep, and it's gets a little more harder on the summer and especially on sunny, those days are not advisable because your body will need a lot of water to stay hydrated, especially on the first third of the trail, where there are no trees for shade, the views are unbelievable, especially once you pass the first two rock formations on the trail, as you continue up you will start to find more shaded areas, and then you will get to a little forest, where you will find more shade.

easy trail!

The hike is 6 miles round trip and it is brutally steep, hot, and strenuous. The redeeming qualities are the spring that you come about a quarter of a mile before the cabin and the beautiful valley where the cabin sits. The cabin seems very cozy and like it would make a great place to spend the night.
GPS Coordinates:
N 41º 04.357
W 111º 52.423

It was well worth it. Tough hike with the consistent vertical climb.

The trail starts out easy enough as it shares the same beginning as the Adams Canyon trail up to the point where it intersects the Shoreline trail. From there however, the trail gets much steeper as it ascends up the ridge line that flanks the north side of the canyon. We hiked it in mid May and there was still a little snow in the upper bowl as you traverse southward on the final leg to the cabin. The trail towards the top is also overgrown enough that you definitely want long pants and possibly long sleeves to protect you from the brush. The cabin is full of little treasures from past hikers including, thankfully, some adhesive bandages that my wife was able to use to cover some hot spots on her heels. Bring plenty of water as you will be exposed to the sun approximately 90% of the hike. We will definitely hike it again and stay over night in the cabin next time. The descent can put your joints to the test. We wouldn't hike it without trekking poles. Cool views of the Wasatch Front most all of the way.

Loved it!

Thousand feet of elevation gain per mile makes for a quad-buster of a backpack trip. It's NFP for sure. I've backpacked to it twice and day-tripped it multiple times.
First BP was in spring (May I believe) and there was a good snow pack beneath the saddle just before reaching the cabin. The spring that is spoken of which is 1/4 mile on the trail before reaching the cabin was flowing nicely and I was able to replenish my water supply here. It had been raining prior to my arrival, so any timber was wet. Sadly no one had left any wood in the cabin to keep it dry. Starting a fire was very difficult. That morning I hiked east from the cabin down into the canyon to view where several roaring waterfalls converge.
Second BP was in early November (yesterday). There was light traces of snow on the upper portions of the trail and trace snow pack around the cabin. The stream that crosses the trail before the cabin was dry, providing no water to replenish my supply. Water levels were low this year, so I can't say this will always be the case in November.
The previous occupant had left wood in the cabin to use. In the morning I replenished (and more) what I had used. Dry wood in the cabin is a HUGE perk since it can be difficult getting a fire going if wood is wet. In the morning I hiked east of the cabin to the falls to replenish my water. The falls weren't nearly as large as in the spring, but there was enough water there to replenish my supply.
That evening sleeping in the cabin a packrat (bushy-tailed woodrat) was climbing around the walls and table area. I let it do it's thing, they're pretty cute in my opinion. In the morning I repaired a large gap beneath the door where that little occupant nightly makes his entrance.
The elevation gain over such a short distance makes this a real quad-buster, so it's not a trail for the unfit.
If you stay in the cabin, pay it forward by leaving it cleaner than you found it, and leaving a pile of fallen wood for the next occupant.