Ferguson Canyon Trail to Upper Meadow

Ferguson Canyon Trail to Upper Meadow is a 6.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Salt Lake City, UT that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

rock climbing

cave

Ferguson Canyon is a short steep canyon located immediately south of the mouth of Big Cottonwood Canyon. The lower canyon is enclosed by granite walls popular with rock climbers, while the upper canyon contains open meadows.

Ferguson is one of my absolute favorite hikes in Salt Lake City. It's a longer hike and harder then anything in Millcreek. The whole hike is beautiful, little creeks, rock climbers, dogs are welcome and overall its pretty shaded. It's perfect. If you plan to go up to watch the sunset make sure to bring a flashlight for the way down.

Today I only hiked up the first 1/2 mile or so to the rocks with my kids to play.

It's strange reading the reviews - everything from "this is a great short hike" (true if you only do a great short hike) to "great moderate to hard hike to the lookout" (True) to "this is an awful 10 mile hike" (I have taken this route to the top of twin peaks and beyond, and I can't think of any way to go 10 miles while staying in this canyon) to "The canoeing was awesome" (a joke I guess?).

This trail is on the steep side, but footing is usually good. I would disagree with the "lightly trafficked" but obviously the farther you go the lighter the traffic. The lower canyon is really pretty and fun for playing on rocks. Lots to explore. That is still true higher up, but the going gets progressively more difficult. Still, I would rate it as moderate up to the lookout. I found the trail still pretty evident above that point, and still with steep but reasonable slopes up into the meadows. The trail slowly fades as you climb, and climbing Storm Mountain is difficult with decent reoute finding skills required. Most people won't ever worry about going that far. Overall, lovely canyon with really cool rock formations and a nice little creek.

Nice hike. Shaded for most of the way until you reach the overlook. Very nice views from there. After the overlook you can keep going up, if you're up for it. We went about half way to what my buddy calls the "rock garden". VERY overgrown. I'd recommend pants. Poles were a big help too.

This hike is nice and varied with some rocky sections (in the canyon) and some flat inclines (once out of the canyon). Be careful on the 2 sections with loose gravel near the river.

Been on this hike twice. The first time, we got lost and wounded up on a super sketchy rocky incline that we couldn't get over. We had to throw in the towel because it got dark and the sun set before we made it all the way back down.

The second time, we had a friend that showed us a hidden side path that we literally had to CLIMB up to get to. The climb itself was pretty steep and my big Labrador needed my help at one point to get all the way up. But nonetheless, the view from that lookout point was beautiful.

I'm not sure what the end of this trailhead actually looks like. But maybe a third time in the future will be a charm. This also looks like a good spot for rock climbers. We passed a wall where we saw some people roping up.

Beautiful. Close to home.

Nice trail, some steep spots. There were lots of people camped out rock climbing. Lots of dogs off leash.

That was the worst hiking experience I have had. If you try to follow the "6" mile trail it's really closer to 10! It's overgrown, we somehow ended up not exactly on the trail at the end but showed we were at the end of the trail and it led to nothing of note, after all that work. We ran out of water with about 3-4 miles left. I wish they would update it to show it ends at the lookout point because really it does. The rest is like a difficult random side trail with no point. I think the good rating must be based off the lookout because there is no way hiking to what we went to would get s good rating. If they don't do that it sure would be nice if the distance was accurate. That was the worst!

Great hike in the spring due to all the run off! Tons of water and shade for you and your dogs to cool off in! Take that extra time to go past the halfway point lookout you won't regret it!

the overlook that is after the steep trail and the switchback that everyone stops at is only the halfway point. but beyond that are some gnarly switchbacks that just seem like game trials and overgrown since no one goes past the overlook. At the top of the trail you could practically see Blanche

Hiked this in late June. Great steep hike that is difficult and has some confusing points along the way. This is a great dog friendly hike with water and shade. There are some lose dirt slopes so be ready to
slide a little on the way down. Towards the end the trail veers away from the water ( our dog was a little disappointed) for a spectacular view.

Did this one with my 14-year-old daughter today, and it's a memory we will treasure forever. We pulled it off in flip-flops, although that wasn't the ideal footwear choice. If you're going to put the time into going up through the the canyon, you should really tough it out through the steep, crumbly bits to get to the views of the canyon and SLC from the top. We were surprised to see so many hikers who didn't go beyond the wooded stretch that runs alongside the brook. Views from the top were awesome! At around 2 miles (as others have said) there was a little offshoot that led back west and out to a cool vista-point rock; from there we went back to the main trail that went east along the top of the canyon. We turned around and headed back instead of going to the meadows or whatever is at the end. At about 4 miles round-trip we took about 4 hours, but we stopped a lot for photos and talking to people.
Rocks, lizards, dragonflies, butterflies, waterfalls, epic views. Good times.
We're from California. All the locals we talked to along the way were super friendly. Recommended

Not a bad trail but horrible hikers - portable radios blasting and more dog poop than any trail I've been on this year.
If you can't be courteous and responsible, please stay home.

It was awesome. Once we got into the shady green areas my Dogs had a blast jumping boulders and the lake. We didn't make it too far as my older dog struggles with steep inclines. But they had so much fun. Because my older dog struggled we probably will go towards easier hikes with him. But my other two adored it. Also the trails can get confusing as there are many different branches off the original trail.

This was a beautiful hike. Lots of scenery along the way.

Loved it! Perfect #humpdayhike after work. Loved cooling off in the little stream. Lots of places to put up the hammock and relax.