Fairy Forest Trail

Fairy Forest Trail is a 1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Heber City, UT that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is accessible from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

A trail like you've never seen before! Thousands of painted rocks adorn this fairy forest, with fairy houses, wind chimes, ribbons, and anything else a fairy could wish for. This is a very short walk, skip across the campground, and jump across the river to a fairy wonderland. Not just for girls, boys will have just as much fun looking around as the girls. Recently there has been a big push to get the Fairy Forest Trail cleaned up and restored by the local forest service. Painted rocks and things from the city degrade over time and leave a mess. Already this year over 100 large bags of garbage have been removed from this location. Leaving things behind is not only bad for the habitat but also illegal. Visitors are encouraged to come and enjoy the unique rock trails and to create with the natural materials already present. We want everyone to enjoy the beauty that the forest has to offer.

It's a really nice place but I wouldn't call it a hike more of an attraction I loved all the rocks it's really pretty

PLEASE PLEASE DO NOT GO to this trail if you want to leave behind any fairy "treasures." The locals are currently trying our best to clean up the mess and return the forest back to it's natural beauty. The paint and garbage is just ugly and it is against the law! If you are going to pack it in PLEASE pack it out! The Mirror Lake Scenic Byway is absolutely STUNNING! Let's keep it that way! PLEASE alltrails.com remove this trail link if you care anything about our national forests.

PLEASE DO NOT PAINT ROCKS OR LEAVE ITEMS IN THE FOREST!

Absolutely disgusting, garbage and pollution in a national forest.

Not really a hike, but pretty cool nonetheless. My young daughters thought it was really neat to see all the different painted rocks, fairy houses, etc. A fun family activity for sure.

Very easy trail. Crossing the river was a little tricky with my 3 yr old only because I was trying hard not to get her shoes wet but our 3 yr old loved seeing all the colored rocks and fairy houses. Definitely will come back again.

Cute

I couldn't find it. Apple maps, clicking from the nap on this page, took me to Shady Dell Campground and I didn't see any trailhead signs. I had no cell service, so couldn't look for any more directions. Giving one star for now. The rest of the area is nice. Found these directions on a blog that will help next time I go up there: The Fairy Forest is said to be “hidden” because there are no signs. To find the Fairy Forest you follow a trail on the south side of the highway into the Shady Dell campground. Continue though a campsite then cross a small creek, walk to the top of a hill to find and log lying across the road. Step over the log and take about 5-10 more steps, then head down to your right. You know you have reached the entrance to Fairy Forest when see a tipped over tree forming an angular archway. It should only take about 5-10 minutes to walk from your car to the forest.

Our kids LOVED this place. We had kids ages 9-5 with us and they all loved it and can't wait to come back. The only moderate part was getting over dry creek, as it was not dry at all. The directions are perfect and my kids easily could have spent a couple hours here. Next time we will bring our own fairy house instead of making one out of the branches on the ground.

For kids, this is the be all, end all of hikes!! What could be more amazing, or fantastical than a fairy forest in the middle of the wilderness. The drive there took about an hour from Salt Lake , but was worth the wait and it was an absolutely beautiful drive.

Directions are easy to follow. The kids were in awe for the first 20 minutes we arrived there, then spent another 30 minutes discovering different rocks and fairy houses. The loved every minute of it.

We'll be bringing more rocks next time, to add to the collection. Definitely a must!!