East Rim Trail from Big Bend

East Rim Trail from Big Bend is a 20.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Orderville, UT that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until October.

One of my favorite hikes I did along with several more on a Zion trip with my friend Guy. We stayed for about a week and did this hike on the 3rd day. We didn't want to do an out and back so we did this point to point. Guy asked me "How do we get back to the car?". I said "we hitch hike, someone will give us a ride". At the age of 52 he had never hitchhiked in his life. It worked out well.... The hike is incredible and actually has a beautiful little slot canyon we had no idea was there. The biggest surprise on the way was a boy scout troop doing an over night hike. One of the guys with them was in his mid seventies 5 miles out and hiking with 2 canes, not hiking sticks. He was obviously in a lot of pain but had the biggest smile on his face you've ever seen. We enjoyed talking with him. I'll post up a pic of where we crossed paths. Awesome hike if you get the chance...do it! Zion is only #2 behind the Grand Canyon for hiking in my book.

Great hiking with no one around. Nice serenity

Great hike and very hot. Nobody in the trail but us.

I hated to see this hike end! I lit out from the East Entrance at 11:30 am and hiked the gradual climb up to Stave Spring in 3 hours. The trail is well maintained but soft sand made for slower traveling. The spring was dry but the rangers had warned me so I was carrying two days worth of water. From the spring I hiked the 4.5 miles out to Deer Trap Mt overlook. Spectacular views of Angels Landing. I returned to the junction of Cable Top Mt trail and pitched camp nearby. It was a clear cold night that provided for awesome star gazing. Cold enough to freeze my water overnight. I spent the better part of the night listening to coyotes. The next morning I broke camp and began the short (4.3 mile) but steep (2400 ft) decent to Weeping Rock. The scenery was killer. Didn't see a soul till I got down by Weeping Rock. I took the park bus back to the visitor center where I found out that I needed a reservation to get on a shuttle back to the East Entrance TH. I was told I would have to wait for the next morning. Hitch Hiking (not endorsing it) is legal in the park so I stuck out the thumb and had a ride in short order, it even came with a cold beer!! I truely hated to see this hike end it was so amazing.

Loved this hike! Did not see a soul the whole time. Had fun looking at the tracks from wildlife. Good scenery. The only reason I give it 4 stars is due to a down sign which caused my husband and I to get lost-which could have turned out bad.

Great hike, pack a lunch and bring lots of water. November temperatures made the long hike enjoyable

Hiked a short section that provided excellent rim views. Began to descend into the canyon but we turned back as the day was getting hotter. Stunning views of the canyon below. Slightly scary for those of us scared of heights but manageable if you focus on the trail. Views make overcoming fear worth it.

Amazing, long, trail from the east gate of Zion to the valley. My wife and son and I did this trail in 2007 in June. We started in 91 degrees F temps near the gate and hiked to the valley where it was 105 F. The hike was moderate in terms of exertion, but it is long, and water is nowhere to be found, so make sure you bring enough.

The trail initially winds around washboard mesas as it climbs slowly to the eastern rim and expansive views of the valley. The trail then switchbacks down to the mouth of a slot canyon south of weeking rock and then travels down another few miles to the valley floor. We choose the gate to valley direction to avoid the climb. The reverse would also be good (if up!) as you could start in the morning. In the afternoon, the sun was directly on the faces we traversed on trailed, and my wife started feeling the heat.