East Rim Trail to Observation Point

East Rim Trail to Observation Point is a 6.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Springdale, Utah that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until October.

This is a strenuous hike to the highest point in Zion National Park. You look down on Angels Landing and have a sweeping vista of the main canyon that makes up Zion. It is a stunning view.

There are four main stages to the hike: up the face from the parking lot, through the river canyon, up the side to the summit, and across the summit to the observation point. The first part has a good view of Zion valley but is tiring, and the third part is also tiring without a similarly good view. However, the river canyon part is lots of fun, and the observation point itself has a fantastic view. If you are okay with lots of elevation gain for a few sections of awesomeness, then this trail is for you!

My favorite hike in Zion!

Hiked Thanksgiving Day. Switchbacks pretty much define this trail, however at no point did I feel that there was any real danger for myself or my 11yr old. We took our time and stopped for a long lunch and some exploring in the slot canyons (which was our favorite part of the trail). Unfortunately we started too late to finish the trail (needed extra 45mins and it was getting dark) though the more fit & driven wife ditched us and made it up and back in time.
Was surprised how busy it was on Thanksgiving Day, but the views were absolutely worth it. Saw a bunch of mountain goats on the way back just off trail

Spectacular views at observation point. Switchbacks for days but diverse views (weeping rock, echo canyon, Zion canyon views) along the way keep it interesting. For fit folks not taking breaks, up takes 2 hours and 1.3 hours coming down. If you have time stop by hidden canyon on the way down.

I've been to Zion 6 times now and Observation Point twice. The first time was as a side trip from the East Rim Trail and the hike up from there was grueling after 10 miles on the East Rim. I'm not afraid of heights but I was already weak by the time I got to the switch backs and the exposure made me nervous. Still a great hike and well worth the view!

There is a better (in my opinion) way to get to Observation Point; Contact one of the local adventure companies and pay $25 for a one way shuttle to the East Mesa Trail head, from there, it's a short 3.2 mile flat hike out to Observation Point with views of Mystery Canyon and other views along the way. When you're ready to head back, take the normal route down through the switchbacks, past echo canyon and down into the park where you can take a free shuttle back to your car at the visitor center. This is a much less strenuous way to see Observation Point and still see the beauty of the main trail up from the valley.

This place is amazing and the view is breathtaking. Make sure you bring a lot of water. The hike itself is moderate but long enough to make you thirsty