Desolation Trail to Salt Lake Overlook

Desolation Trail to Salt Lake Overlook is a 4.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Salt Lake City, UT that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Nice night hike

fun trail. too much dog poop along trail

This is one of my favorite hikes in Millcreek. A bit harder and longer then the others. The view is amazing and a good hike to wear out the dogs.

It's a solid hike. 2 miles with a gain of about 1200ish feet. View is definitely worth it. A lot of people around

J

Gorgeous sunset run last night!And perfect escape from the inversion! Just watch for those ankle grabbers on the way down.

Pretty beautiful during this season! Loved the hike and took my pups. Definitely recommend it! Not too hard at all. Went on a Tuesday, early afternoon and there were hardly anybody hiking so that was pretty nice.

I went on a Sunday morning and although it was a bit more crowded than I would have liked, it wasn't too bad. It took me an hour to get up and just under that to return, and it was pretty easy with a nice view at the top. Lots of people with kids and dogs.

I'm the best hiker in the world! :D I did it.

Don't forget to find the treasure tree!

Not too easy but nothing crazy strenuous. One of my favorite sunset hikes as you spend most of the way up in the shade and have an amazing view of the valley at the end

The pay off was nice but the trail was nothing to write home about.

We arrived at 6:30 am on Saturday, sept 24th. It was still dark and it was threatening to rain.
The trail was quiet, and venturing into the darkness was exciting.
Trail markers guide the way for the first leg of the journey, and when they stop, following the switchbacks (instead of the small off-shoots) is important.
The trail is steep enough to get your heart pumping. Despite the sky trying to rain, taking my jacket off happened quick.
As we ventured higher, the sun started to rise. We were still in the clouds, but the light was enough to turn off our lanterns.
As we gained elevation and entered the mist, the rain started.
The wind at the top was strong, but the views were amazing. We were high enough to see everything, but the clouds were still blocking most of the landscape.
The sharp rock formations at the top are great for picture taking and climbing around on.

Returning to the car seemed much faster, but the rain started pouring harder as well. My flannel and my pants were soaked through.

This was exactly what I wanted my Saturday to be like.

Not too crowded in the late afternoon/early evening on a weekday, and seems like a nice one for trail running (saw as many trail runners as hikers). I usually hike with poles but didn't take them and never felt like I needed them. Nice canyon view with the valley below.