Desolation Trail - Millcreek Portion

Desolation Trail - Millcreek Portion is a 4.8 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Salt Lake City, UT that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is accessible from May until September.

4.8 miles 3201 feet Point to Point

Well maintained trail climbs by switchback to a viewpoint overlooking Salt Lake City. This section continues up to the Porter Fork pass just below the Porter Fork Trail Junction. The entire trail then continues a total of 18 miles and crosses into Big Cottonwood Canyon along Raymond Ridge to Desolation Lake

If you want a hike, I guarantee this is something you wanna walk if you want to see what work your legs. It's steep and a good workout. I been walking this trail on my deer hunt, and it's one of the challenging hike I been on. Great workout.

Great trail! I only went to the overlook point because the lake was 18 miles in and I wasn't prepped for that long of a hike. The trail is quite rocky and steep in some places, flat in others . It is very narrow and on the way down I ran most of it . Despite the fact that some people have absolutely no trail etiquette and refuse to move when they are coming up and I was going down ( which luckily didn't cause any collisions) , most people moved over politely and were friendly . I had a great time ! Will be going back, perhaps earlier and on a weekday . Happy Trails !!

Beautiful hike all the way up! I took my 6 year old, so we took a lot of breaks. But it was totally worth it!

Fun trail! Millcreek is always so cool and peaceful. Our five year old had fun, too!

Nicely maintained trail, you do have to climb over some rocks a few times but it's not too bad. You are climbing upwards most of the time. This was my first hike in a long time and this was a bit hard since I'm not used to the high altitude yet. The others in my group live here and they were fine with the trail, not so out of breath like me. The view at the top is very beautiful. You can see Salt Lake City and the Salt Lake from a high view point. It was very green going up with lots of very large trees, and lots of different green ground covers. Lots of shade on this trail, with quite a few sections of strong sun. Bring lots of water!! I was in a group and some people ran out. Saw a large rattlesnake on the trail at the bottom, that was interesting!

Fun trail and a good hike for me and my 2 yr old. I did it with him in my hiking bag and he enjoyed it.

Awesome!

This trail is beautiful and green this time of year! We didn't see any streams but the trees, moss, bushes, and rocks were incredible! Especially with the light rain coming down half the hike! My dog loved running up and down this trail with me!!!!

Awesome on a rainy day very beautiful and quiet trail. also good for beginner hiking dogs because there's not very many places they can go to get lost.

Went last week. Mud and snow cover most of the first mile. Then it's all snow after that. We weren't able to make it to the lake without snow shoes as the snow was a few feet deep and we kept sinking. Made it past the trailhead heading to dog lake and was only able to make it another half mile or so before turning around and heading up to Dog Lake. Which was still iced over a bit

Loved this trail. Did not make it all the way to the lake but it was beautiful the whole time I was running. Very quiet.

Backpacked with 50lb packs. Tough @ times. When the sun is out up at the top it is worth it. Great places to camp overnight in the trees towards the back side of the lake. The peaks surrounding the lake can be summited and you can see all the way back into the SL valley, but once up there you realize you are even closer to PC. You can see both cities and Solitude and Brighton resorts. Baller.

Beautiful. One of my favorite hikes. Easy enough slope to hike without stopping.