Deseret Peak Wildeness Loop

Deseret Peak Wildeness Loop is a 7.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Grantsville, UT that features a river and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible from June until October.

Most of the area west of Salt Lake City is blasted by summer heat, a blank canvas for winter winds, and largely waterless (except for the enormous, shallow saline pond of Great Salt Lake, three times saltier than the ocean). No streams reach the sea from this area. The Stansbury Mountains are a 30-mile-long oasis of rugged beauty in this salt desert, especially in the spring. The mountains are named after U.S. Army Capt. Howard Stansbury, who led a surveying party around Great Salt Lake in 1849. Deseret Peak, 11,031 feet high, dominates the skyline for hundreds of miles. From its crest, the Skull Valley Indian Reservation and the militarys Dugway Proving Grounds are visible. The Stansbury Mountains, and Deseret Peak in particular, create their own weather systems and are sometimes shrouded with clouds while the Bonneville Salt Flats to the northwest (famous as a site for setting land speed records) bake under a clear sky. North Stansbury Mountains Wilderness Study Area is about 5 miles north of the designated Deseret Peak Wilderness; Cedar Mountains WSA is about 14 miles to the west.

Good well designed Trail. The gate is closed for the season so it's an extra 2.1 miles each way if you Park at the medina trailhead just up the hill from the gate. Better parking and a restroom at medina. The Trail was mostly snow free. A few places in the trees and on north facing slopes had packed snow but no chains or snowshoes needed. Great view on top. Be sure to get an early start so you can see Deseret Peak flooded with the sun at sunrise.

This is a very beautiful hike

This was a great hike, up up up and up for 4.5 miles and 3 and a half hours. We started at 0830 and made the summit at noon. It was a busy day with at least a dozen people heading up but we passed no-one heading down. Once on top we had lunch for a half hour, then continued on at 1230 along the trail to the north heading down and made the TH at 1510. My GPS indicated we had traveled a total of 9.3 miles. It was a great hike but a hard one. I recommend this hike, but it's not for everyone as It's very strenuous. The scenery is magnificent and worth the effort.

Bring food you'll be out all day. This trail according to my book is 8.5 miles which I think is right but just know it's a long loop but beautiful. Some sections are sketchy on the backside. Once you summit you'll still be on the ridge line for a long time like another 1.5 hours at least. We saw no one after the ridge and descended through pockets fork. Steep in many spots, bring poles!

This was a beautiful hike! Even though the canyon was busy, I didn't see another person. You have to be careful and follow signs because it's easy to mistake a game trail for the actual trail. I took my dog and it took us about 3 hours to hit the peak, and there was water for her in parts.

I did this trip solo with a 35 lbs pack last weekend (July 15th-16th, 2016). It's a beautiful area with plenty of solitude to be found. I camped right below the cirque on the Deseret Peak side of the trail, took me about 2.5 hours to reach that area from the trailhead, and that was at an intermediate pace due to the gear I was carrying. The next morning I approached the peak, reaching the top after maybe 1 more hour of climbing.

At the top, you'll have a 360 degree unobstructed view of the surrounding area, reaching from the desert to the west all the way to the Wasatch Range in the distance. Stansbury Island and Antelope Island sit far below. Make sure you look for the summit log and write your name down.

After a brief pause at the summit I returned to the trailhead via Pockets Fork. Beware of vegetation close to the trail in this area - I walked through it wearing shorts and short sleeves and have a crazy rash I'm trying to get rid of now. All things considered, though, this was still worth it. Great hike, would do again.

One of my favorite hikes in the area. Hard, but not a killer. Doing a loop hike on a peak is a real bonus. Start early!

This was a great hike hard but the views are spectacular and worth the challenge. Bring plenty of water.

I loved this hike.

Deseret Peak is 11,031. This is not an easy hike but the amazing views are worth the work!