Deseret Peak

Deseret Peak is a 6.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Grantsville, UT that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, horses, and cross country skiing and is accessible from December until April. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions: From Salt Lake City head west on I-80 and take the Stansbury-Tooele exit. Follow the signs to Grantsville. In Grantsville turn south on Cooley Street and head out of town. Turn west on the South Willow Canyon Road and follow it to the end. There is a trailhead sign at the beginning of the trail.

I love this hike!

Beautiful vistas, lush forest and alpine meadows all along this trail. It is close to 9 miles up and back. It is a fairly steep trail with almost no flat areas. You hike up a canyon to the face at the end of the canyon. Switch back up to the saddle and then the trails moves to the back of Deseret Peak for the ascent. There is no water available along the trail. It was a nice, cool day and I used my entire 2 L of water. While this is a steep hike we encountered a 63yo woman and 77yo man that successfully completed the trail. This is definitely a peak worth conquering.

Hard but worth it

3.5 stars. Long drive away from any civilization (no service) and it was a hot day. My 9 yo bonked at 9000 ft elevation so we had to turn around. What I loved was the peace and quiet. Saw a deer. Beautiful flowered meadows. View of the Great Salt Lake was cool halfway up. The trail was so overgrown in some sections that it wasn't uncommon for us to have to raise our hands above our head so we wouldn't touch any poisonous plants. Bugs were more than usual but not killer. Stopped at the gristmill and Saltair on the way back so I could keep my hiking buddy happy for our next hike.

Do yourself a favor and don't do this hike. The trail is about 2 feet wide with nothing but loose gravel and rock. We fell several times on the trail. It was about 9 miles full loop. It took us 7 hours to complete. It was extremely difficult, we hike very often. This experience was just miserable.

This was my first difficult hike. The wild flowers were beautiful. I saw several deer. The view from the top was amazing!

This can be done as a loop if you take the trail split to the right. The views are nice of the Goshen and Tooele Valleys. HAMs can reach the 146.62 & .76 repeaters on 2m VHF.
Please be aware this is an active hunting area and check when the various big game seasons begin/end

I love the Peak! I grew up here and these mountains have plants and brush similar to the Uintahs. Just don't try to sleep in the "hot tub" near the Peak or you will likely have field mice going through your things and nibbling at your sleeping bag... But hey it was an awesome time ;)

Write up on a previously accomplished hike.

After years of driving up and down Skull Valley and having Deseret Peak loom over me I was finally presented with an opportunity to conquer my imaginary adversary.

As I am not a Utah resident and only travel to the beehive state sporadically for work I have to make the most of my limited time here so I was thrilled when an opportunity to travel to DPG for a week. Normally most people are less than thrilled for a trip to the West Desert but I had the Peak on my mind.

The hike itself was a rather long walk as I did the loop. The hardest part for me was coming from sea level and not having time to acclimate to the elevation.

The solitude (I did not encounter another hiker on the trail all day) along with the West Desert setting are two things I really enjoyed.

While many overlook Tooele County in favor of SLCs more well-known attractions this hike is one that should not be missed.

Great trail. The lower gate was closed which added significant approach time. Also 4-6" of snow made it a bummer at lower elevations as it had iced up under the crust...slippery. Also significant temperature variation from shaded canyon to exposed trail. Bring water and layers this time of year. Scenery makes it all worth it though.

We started at the Mill Fork trailhead located at Loop Campground. It was a great hike - steady uphill climb the whole way. The last bit before you get to the "saddle" was pretty steep and all loose rocks - definitely the most difficult part for us. The views from the top were incredible. Today was super windy so it was about 50 degrees at the peak @ 3pm with 20 mph winds - bring a jacket! Also, bring lots of water! Total mileage was 7.4 (out & back - we decided not to do the loop), elevation climb was 3,618 and total time including lunch at the peak was 6 hours.

The loop is 14 miles long. The downhill is difficult because of the loose gravel and steep sections. NOT for novices. Very challenging. Bring two liters of water per person. We used all of it.

Good hike really pretty. Ended up 8.4 miles to do the loop. I'd do it again at a slower pace.

I hiked there on June 8 this year. I loved hiking up there because there were still snow on the ground on the top parts, also the vegetation was green and there were many flowers blooming. The hiking became more interesting because instead of returning on the same trail we decided to make a loop which gave us the opportunity to explore the place and take even more nice pictures. Loop (http://tooelecountytrails.com/deseret_peak_trail.html). Besides Timp. Summit, Deseret Peak is now my second favorite.

Hiked this today (9/15/13). When the trail moves into the switchbacks be aware that recent rains have created significant washes down the mountain and across the switchbacks. In most cases, we were able to simply step through to the other side, some however, required jumping. At 10,000 feet we encountered stiff winds and clouds that stayed with us to the summit. This was a fantastic hike.

It's not as difficult as described. I only ran into 3 other people on the entire loop and there was a stretch of about 5 miles where I didn't see anyone else. It was a little bit hazy, but on a clear day I'm sure you could get a great view of the Wasatch and the Lake.

skiing

Hiked this in early May. Lower trail from the road was mostly dry, but became snow covered as we gained elevation. Cramponed up the final snowfield which was steep to the summit ridge. The wind was howling and clouds were ripping by. Fun ski down to the end of the snow.

Hiked there for the first time yesterday. Awesome view! You can see the border of Nevada, Mount Timpanogos, Mount Nebo, and Farmington Bay at the same time! A very must do hike!

It's also supposed to be an "ultra prominent" peak, meaning those with over 5,000 feet of topographical prominence (Deseret Peak itself having an impressive 5,800 something feet prominence even if its elevation is only 11,031!) It's supposed to be the fourth most "prominent" in Utah, even if not ranked even that high in elevation!

My hiking GPS measured about 3,700 feet of elevation gain from the trailhead (the dirt road to get to the trailhead gains a lot of elevation). My GPS also measured 4.0 miles one way up to the peak. It looks like a lot of people are measuring different distances!

I started the trail about one mile before the loop campground trailhead so it was only 8 miles. The views going up the trail are awesome. Once at the top the views are even better. Cool because you don't have to go down the same way. I would definitely recommend this to anyone ready for a challenge.