Coyote Gulch and Hurricane Wash Loop Trail

Coyote Gulch and Hurricane Wash Loop Trail is a 10.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Escalante, UT that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible from March until September.

It's so beautiful here, we entered through the crack and climbed out of the VERY STEEP part towards the end, Somebody left some rope there and it was still in good shape a month ago, but there is no way of knowing until you climb up it, wether or not it's starting to fray... Other then that, we saw deer, arches, and everything beautiful Utah has to offer :)

Be sure to carry water shoes/sandals so you can explore the bottom a bit more easily than I did! An absolutely breathtaking experience. Would go again in a heartbeat.

I loved this hike/camp it was amazing. I would totally do it again. I recommend stopping at the black lagoon, it is amazing and nice to swim in.

I am also a Scoutmaster and my ASM and I just took five scouts (12-13 yr olds) on this route from Crack in the Wall to Jacob Hamblin Arch. We did it in 8.5 hours with only day packs for food and water. Everyone had a great time exploring this canyon with no incident nor injury, no blisters nor chaffing. The only hard part was after we climbed out and had to cross the desert back to the car. By then, the group was tired, hot and ready to be done but we will definitely do this again! Read more about our experience at http://blog.myscoutstuff.org/2016/06/exploring-coyote-gulch-with-scouts/

Amazing. Went from Jacob Hamlin to Crack in wall.

One of the best hikes I have ever been on. We came from Jacob Hamblin arch to crack in the wall. I would defiantly reconvened coming in crack in the wall. The way out by Jacob Hamblin is pretty intimidating but doable. I have to take my pack off to do it and pull it up with a rope. I will be doing this hike again and again.

This is one of my favorite areas to hike in. I have hiked Coyote Gulch twice and both times I started at the crack in the wall. The view from up on the canyon rim down to the confluence with the Escalante River and Stevens Arch in the background is amazing. The hike out of Coyote Gulch at Jacob Hamblin Arch can be intimidating if one is not accustomed to exposure and steep climbs. It is OK without a pack, but with a heavy pack, the climb out, for me, was nerve-wracking. A rope and confidant companions help immensely! The memories made in such an adventure will last a lifetime. One spring my brother, my four boys (ages 18, 16, 13, and 10), and I made the trip. We will never forget it. Hiking in the water in the bottom of Coyote Gulch is one of the most amazing experiences I've ever had. Lessons I learned for future trips: 1) high clearance, 4-wheel drive would provide for a more relaxed drive to the trail-head through the deep, sandy sections of road; 2) once through the crack, stay to the left as you go down to Coyote Gulch, if you just run down the sand dune you will end up about 50-60 feet above the Escalante River without a way to get down and will have to climb back up the sand (which is a nightmare with a pack), and 3) don't try exiting at Jacob Hamblin Arch unless you are comfortable with rock climbing or have someone that is with you to help and encourage you.

I am the scoutmaster and we have done the Coyote Gulch trip for the last 3 years in a row! Everyone that has been as really loved it. Because I have to take mostly 12-14 year old boys in we, the men in my group, have decided that the shortest route to carry a full pack in is to take 40 Mile Ridge Road off of Hole in the Rock road. The first parking lot you come to is a trail head to Jacob Hamblin Arch. I believe it is called the Watering Trough. If you see the huge galvanized watering trough that is fenced in you are at the right place. The lower parking lot is the trail head to Crack in the Wall. Following the cairns you pass a large bluff and come to a steep decent into the canyon right at Jacob Hamblin Arch. You can free climb the rock face if you are good but we take a rope, 120', and a couple of harnesses to make sure everyone is safe. The arch is incredible and the natural spring provides plenty of water that you can't get enough of!!! There was a self-decomposing toilet facility right by the arch but just before we arrived in late June of 2012 the facility burned up! It was smouldering when we arrived. We camp close to the arch and make a day hike down to the Escalante River. If you hike up the river about 300 yards from the confluence you can see Stevens arch. Round trip from Jacob Hamblin arch to Steven's arch is about 12 miles and takes all day so pack a lunch and your camera. Along the trip you will also see Coyote Natural Bridge, Cliff Arch, indian petroglyphs and a large swimming hole. There is also a spring within a couple miles of the Escalante river. I have a 3 liter Geigerrig. I fill it at Jacob Arch and at the lower spring and it is plenty for me. There is also a toilet near the lower spring. You have access to water to filer/puify the whole time you are in the gulch. You will be hiking in the water the entire time you are in the gulch so closed toe sandals with neoprene socks is a must! We hike in the first day, camp at the arch that night, make the day hike and camp at the arch again then leave the morning of the 3rd day. I would not go any later than the end of June. It is just to HOT! We might try the end of August or September.

We did the hike to Crack in the Wall then up to Jacob Hamblin Arch but proved to be a long hike for the younger boys. I would not recommend leaving the gulch via Crack in the Wall because from there to the bottom is a very long and steep sand dune! From the lower lot to Crack in the Wall we encountered a few people that underestimated the heat and did not have enough water.

Some groups go to Jacob Hamblin Arch from some of the upper trail heads. Hurricane Wash and Red Well. I have not been on any of the upper trails but on the map they are about 9-12 miles one way and the water does not seem to be as available either. It is mostly hot desert with lots of sand and horse flies! The best part, as I've been told by guides and other hikers, is that from Jacob Hamblin to the Escalante River/Steven's Arch is the "best" part to see.

I have GPS for arches, confluence, toilets, etc.

I put 16 miles because it is 4 miles in and out from the upper parking lot to Jacob Hamblin Arch. Then is is 12 miles round trip to Steven's Arch from Jacob Hamblin.

UPDATE: 2013 We just got back from a 4 day drip. We did Peek-a-Boo and Spooky then dropped in at Crack in the Wall at sunset. You need a 50' rope to drop packs in then climb down the crack. We put on head lights and did the long sand dune to the bottom in the dark!! It was awesome!!! We camped right at the bottom the woke up and went to the Escalante River and Steven's Arch and loved exploring the Dominator.