Cascade Saddle Trail

Cascade Saddle Trail is a 10.8 mile out and back trail located near Provo, UT and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from July until October.

Beautiful hike. We hiked to the saddle and spent the night. Then, we hunted over to Cascade Peak, which was grueling. I suggest bringing a lot of water. We basically team out when we arrived back at the saddle from Cascade Peak and we basically had 2L of water and 1L of POWERade. But, we came down the Big Springs trail quick enough to drink from the spring. The hike to the saddle is something I'd consider doing again and continuing on the other side and through Rock Canyon to Provo. But, it would take a lot for me to do Cascade Peak again. If I do, I will do it via Dry Fork, since it is shorter than Big Springs.

Absolutely fantastic trail. It follows a dirt road for the first mile and a half to what looked like a campground, and then begins its journey into the wilderness. The first part is all crisscrossed with other trails and campsites, so it can be a little confusing. Just keep going forward following the road and you'll be fine.

I didn't see another person the whole hike after the dirt road, plus lots of vegetation, steep hillsides, green basins, and a nice view of the wilderness from the saddle. This was everything I look for in a hike.

No mosquitoes, but the flies (deer flies?) bite, so watch out.

The trail is gorgeous. I don't think you could really ask for more in a trail, except make a stream or some water source. It was shaded a good deal of the time. Well maintained, easy trail to follow. There were a few sections of loose rock, which were hard to get down without sliding a bit. The trail is pretty difficult, as far as grade. It's pretty consistently steep, but the last mile before the saddle is especially steep. The views from the saddle make it worth it. Be prepared and bring a lot of water, there isn't any on the trail once you leave the Big Springs area.

Went up from rock canyon and continued to the saddle (8 mi), and then headed down the big springs trail (8 mi). Some of the best views so far, absolutely loved it. Going down was a bit sketchy since there was still a TON of snow -- ended up losing the trail for a mile or two and sliding down in the snow drainage ditches. Wouldn't recommend going down that way... not too many people, didn't see people for about three hours when I was up about the saddle. Big spring trail leads out to Vivian park in Provo canyon.

One of the toughest trails in the Uintahs in my opinion. Super beautiful the whole way and the saddle brings awesome views of a number of different peaks. From the saddle you can hook up to dry fork trail which connects to rock canyon. You can also walk along the ridge line to the different peaks on cascade. This trail is deceptively steep and long. Worth the hike of you're an experienced hiker and in good shape.

You also are pretty isolated. I spent some time in my hammock at the saddle and was on the mountain for about 8 hours. Outside of a mile or so from the trailhead I saw one person.

Started at Big Springs park, to Cascade Saddle, then down to Rock Canyon. First week of June there was still lots of snow near the peaks, and an avalanche wiped out the trail, necessitating a little tracking of some game trails to find our way. Took more like 7.5 hrs due to my hiking buddy getting a little altitude sickness.

I encountered this trail on my way up to Big Springs and decided to keep going once I reached the springs. It was such a beautiful trail the entire way up, so many wild flowers and so green! The saddle sits you at a beautiful view of Provo Peak and all the steps along the mountain side. I'm almost positive the trail continues to Provo Peak.