Dog Lake Reynold's Peak and Butler Fork Loop Trail

Dog Lake Reynold's Peak and Butler Fork Loop Trail is a 6.9 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Salt Lake City, UT that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Beautiful views

Going up Dog lake Trail to Reynolds was great but the trail past the lake was poorly marked and we had to take a detour to shimmy up a side trail. But gorgeous views over the last mile. The real issue was we could not find the trail to make it into a loop to Butler's. We shimmied down a loose gravel slope trying to stay with the course on All Trails and never found a trail so we eventually had go back the way we came.

One of the most beautiful hikes there is. I started at Butler Fork and did the loop down Mill D. The Butler Fork half is the most scenic. The incline going up is pretty steady and steep. The vegetation has grown over the trail for quite a way making in very narrow. You will want to wear long pants because you will be pushing through vegetation. Dog Lake is a bust though, not much more than a mud hole. I started early and didn't run into anyone on the trail until Dog Lake and then 6 or so groups coming up Mill
D, as I was going down. The wild flowers are prolific right now. I highly recommend this hike. The only bad part is I had to walk down the highway from Mill D to Butler Fork. It was a pretty stark contrast from being in the quite pristine wilderness to having hundreds of cars speeding past me on the way back to the trailhead. Started at 6:00am and was done by 9:30 back at the car and doing 6.5 miles.

Great hike. Saw a moose, but inched on by. Still a bit of snow up high. Very pretty. Good workout.

Lovely Hike. Enjoyed the gentler slopes coming up Mill D and the denser woods and wilder trail coming down Butler Fork. Dog Lake itself isn't really much to look at, but makes for a fun destination for kids. I left the family at the lake and ran up the Peak for lovely views from the top. Only one patch of snow left below the trail on the butler fork side, so everything on the trail is now dry. And yes, lots of flowers and butterflies.

Hands down some of my favorite hiking in the valley. Both forks on this trail are gorgeous hikes!! I'm obsessed with this trail every year. When the season is right... It's covered in butterflies!

Good hike with steep start. Scenery was beautiful. Watch out for moose. We were ran off the trail for a bit by a young male moose. Dog lake was a beautiful place to stop for a while, especially this time of year when there wasn't a hundred dogs playing because the mill creek gates are still closed. Got a little muddy towards the top and a little snow here and there. Will definitely do this one again soon.

Snowshoed in, had a hell of a time getting up the last stretch to dog lake, each step slid us back through the melting snow. The views, weather and company made it a great time. I'll be doing it again.

Hike this as part of a loop starting at the Mill D North Fork Trailhead. Beside Dog Lake as a destination you can also climb Reynolds Peak and enjoy amazing views. Trail was much less used that the Mill D Trail. There was only a couple sets of snowshoe tracks in the snow above the Mill A trail junction.

There are many off chute trails that can make getting to the lake confusing for your first time. The few signs that are out and marked show "NO dogs" but no one abides by this it seems. It was definitely a moderate hike. Not for most youngins.