Butler Fork and Desolation Trail to Mount Raymond

Butler Fork and Desolation Trail to Mount Raymond is a 7.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Salt Lake City, UT that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from January until September.

Directions from Salt Lake City: Follow Big Cottonwood Canyon Road (7000 South Wasatch Blvd.) about 8.2 miles up the canyon.About 0.6 mile west of Jordan Pines Campground area.

I did this trail as a sunset hike last night. I started at 5:10 and finished at 7:55. There was a lot of snow along the ridge and it's icy towards the top. Wouldn't suggest doing without sun haha. Still fun. Did it solo, RT 2:44

I did this trail as a sunset hike today. There was a lot of snow along the ridge and it's icy towards the top. Wouldn't suggest doing without sun haha. Still fun. Did it solo, RT 2:44

If you can get past the first part of the trail....

The view from the first peak is spectacular!!! Maybe when I move out of beginner phase into big boy phase, I'll hike the entire trail.

Epic! Who needs a gym?!! And the fall colors are spectacular (reason for 5 stars). Don't miss the views at Baker Pass
We started at Bowman Fork. It's was a ten mile hike for us.
As you start incline to Raymond, trail gets rocky. There is some serious scrambling at one point at this rock wall. (thankful other hikers and 4g! Bewildered for a sec). The scrambling area has lots of good footing. Go to right, stay between trees and rocks. After that, keep climbing. Again, epic and worth the insane incline.

This hike is awesome. The trail has a lot of bushes that an poke you so wear pants. Great hike, steep at first but mellows out. The top knife edge is a little scary but super fun. We saw no one past the saddle part of the trail and had the summit to ourselves on Labor Day! We took a drainage down to get some off trail exploring, I don't recommend this unless you are super good on your feet and have poles. However we did find Brachiopod fossils on the rocks in the drainage! Very cool fossils of ancient sea creatures. Beautiful trail and I can't wait to go back!!!!

A lovely day hike, beautiful views from the peak. Climbing at the top to reach the peak was a really cool change of pace from the rest of the trail - a nice ending.

Pretty sure there's a geocache at the top. Some kind of hard plastic cylinder anyway.

Great hike! I didn't think the trail was overgrown. If periodically brushing you legs against leafy bushes isn't your thing, then wear pants I guess. Would definitely do this again.

Much of the trail is exposed, although the views are breathtaking and the summit is well worth it. I imagine that the aspen will make it particularly beautiful this fall.

One of the most beautiful and rewarding hikes I've ever done. I went on a Saturday morning, slightly overcast, and completed in 5.5 hours at an 8:30am start. Parking at the trailhead is limited, but the earlier you get there it's easy to find parking. While this hike does have a steady incline, it's only really steep as you approach the top. After that, it levels out and the trail runs into a slab of limestone and other conglomerate rock that you have to scramble over. A pair of gardening gloves would have been nice here, but not necessary at all. The rock face added a different sort of challenge and the crawl was really fun! Definitely doing this hike again! Oh, LOT'S of bug spray… don't forget the sunscreen, and if a slightly overgrown trail bothers you, wear pants.

It's super steep. The wild flowers are awesome!!

4 stars because I liked the hike a lot but I have to minus 1 star because this trail right now is WAY overgrown. Not the trails fault I get it, nature and stuff....likes to grow (abundantly apparently) but it really did suck. We started at 8ish am it was 56 degrees going up and on the way down (total hiking time about 5hrs) it was hot and muggy about 87 degrees in the shade. We made it to the very base of the summit and the more experienced hiker wasn't feeling it, at all, so unfortunately we turned around. Which means I have to do this again! Dang. I'll wear pants and have bug spray. Those biting flys are no joke. They mean business and they hurt. Yes the trail is steep. If you can get past the stream and into the aspens your good. I wouldn't say it flattens out but it mellows out. Still inclined, a few switchbacks and then it's mellow until the saddle. Getting to the base is intense. It was for me. Think steep leg burner all over again. Take it slow if you need, watch your footing and breathe.

Now is the time to see the flowers if you are interested. I actually went up via Bowman Fork which is 5.1 miles one way. Go early to beat the heat but you'll have to park on the main road because the gate to the Terrace picnic area opens after 7 a.m.

Great hike with great views at the top! it is a leg burner and a scramble to the top.

If you want some solitude, do this on a weekday and start early. I did it on a Friday and didn't see anyone until after 10 on my way down. Passed a few groups and the forest service. Very pleasant hike, 5 stars were it not for the insects at the top. The shade on trail is especially enjoyable this time of year (late June).

Took the fork to gobblers knob instead of mount Raymond, it was about 4 miles to the top. Only snow on the trail was a short section about half way up.

This trail is stunning. Today my friends and I climbed in about 5.5 hours, including short breaks and about 20 minutes resting on the Raymond summit. Except for a few small patches the snow is just about gone. The first third is mostly shaded, but quite steep, and the trail is a bit overgrown in parts so you might want to wear long pants. From the switchbacks to the pass between gobblers knob and Raymond, the incline is less intense, and you still get quite a bit of shade. The last mile or so to the top is much more exposed, and there are some pretty difficult moments climbing the rocky ridge before the summit. Still, nothing too technical. Be very cautious and make sure you've got good footwear. Highly recommend this hike to anyone looking for a tough, less trafficked, and beautiful climb.

There is still snow on much of the trail once you get past the halfway point. I lost the trail due to snow and basically just hiked up through the aspen trees until I hit the ridge and trail again. The final mile is much more technical then usual because of the melting snow. I did not have snowshoes, and the snow is soft enough that it wouldn't support me in several areas. As such, I spent much of the final push in snow up to my hips. Beautiful time of year to go though because fewer people are on the trail and the air is nice and cool. I only saw one other group on the trail and they were headed to Gobblers Knob. Views from the top are amazing. This is really one of the better half-day hikes near Salt Lake.

If you're not deterred by the steep hike up the very first part of the trail, it levels out for the most part. Great hike, especially for experienced hikers.

sea kayaking

Showshoed to Circle All Peak today. Lots of snow from the recent snowstorms on the trail. There was one pair of snowshoe tracks with 4-6 inches of new shoe so trail breaking was minimum. Coming down passed 7 skiers coming so the trail will be even easier than it was for us first thing in the morning.