Buckskin Gulch Trail

Buckskin Gulch Trail is a 16 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Kanab, Utah that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

16.0 miles 2286 feet Point to Point

off road driving

cave

Magical journey through the Southwest's longest slot canyon, Buckskin Gulch.

Start at wire pass and headed south at buckskin gultch. Went until our feet were frozen. Beautiful hike. Would be perfect in the heat of summer. We went in October.

This is such a beautiful canyon. Everything you'd expect from Utah and more! Going through the cess pools was interesting, but you'll get over it after about 20 of em ;)

Awesome slot canyon! May be problematic after a good rain. Don't do it if rain is in the forecast! lol!

Into buckskin at wire pass, camp at the confluence of Paria and Buckskin and out Paria! Pure Joy with lots of solitude

Just amazing. Took wire pass trail and turned right on to buckskin for another 2 miles. Wanted to go further and I plan to be back.

Hiked this from the Buckskin Trail Head to where the Wire Pass Trail joins. Exited at Wire Pass Trail head. The first part of the hike follow the river with frequent crossings so hiking sandals are a plus. After a while you start hiking in the river. Then the canyon narrows and become a slot canyon for many miles with only a couple of entrance/exits. Wire Pass is the first exit which is the one we took. Ankle deep water was so cold in February that I wished that I hadn't forgotten my neoprene booties. Want able to hitch a ride back to the car at Buckskin Gulch from some kind photographers.

Be careful! We hiked the trail from the Wire Pass trailhead to just short of the Paria River confluence where we hiked out cross-country back to the trailhead via the edge of the Wave where we hit the return trail. The round-trip route was 22 miles per Google Earth and it took us 11 hours. The mud and water in the Gulch was chest deep in many places - we hiked it in late July just after some recent rains and there were no people in sight anywhere except at the trailhead. There are very few places to get out of the Gulch safely and long stretches where there is no escape from a flash flood, so be sure you check the weather before going in. The Gulch is amazing and beautiful and a must do for anyone who thinks they have done it all. The hike cross-country on the return is mostly sage-covered sand with some slick rock - not easy.

Definitely great for adventurous running; we had a Dutch guest stay at our B&B here in Kanab who said Buckskin/Paria were her absolute favorite running routes for training before the Grand2Grand UltraMarathon!

Is it possible to run the trail, and can we do it at self. We come from Denmark for running trails.

Buckskin Gulch is one of my favorites! I have never felt so small in the world being at the bottom of that tall of a slot canyon. Absolutely stunning and I highly recommend this. Hiked it in November so it was a little chill with the wind, few spots of mud but not bad.

beautiful!

Certainly one of my top 5 favorite hikes. I went in early March and the gulch was mostly dry but there were quite a few knee deep puddles and they come often enough that don't even bother changing into boots. Canyoneering boots are best but some supportive and well draining sneakers with neoprene socks would also do the trick. This hike is not without risk so make sure you do your homework, what season you go in can have a huge impact on safety so research it before you go and start early so you can take pictures and still make it out to the Paria before it's pitch dark..

Wild. Up to your knees will get wet from walking through mud pools. Cooler in the slot because there is no sun.

Among the most amazing hikes m'dad and I have experienced. We're from Alaska and have been hiking together for over thirty years. We took four days to hike through Buckskin Gulch and Paria Canyon - here's the hike in four minutes:

Certainly the hike has risks, there's a lot of good information on this and other sites about the unique challenges of the area. Be safe and enjoy the experience.

Nothing else compares. I will remember this hike and its beautiful and unique scenery for the rest of my life. I hope I can go back soon!

We hiked through it in a day - started before light and ended around 4 or 5 pm. Bring LOTS of water.

No hike like this exists in the US -- over 12 miles of eerie slot canyon hiking, without any technical downclimbs and passages only shoulder width for miles. The sculpting of flash floods over millenia has etched mesmerizing patterns into the sandstone, the same flash floods which are more recently attested to by log carcasses wedged 40 feet overhead between narrow walls. The timid lizard, a few hardy green trees in infrequent wide spots, the occasional dark pool of indeterminable depth--these mark the miles and draw the vision from the involuntary gaze skyward, to the sliver of light filtering down from above. It is a spectacular hike, unlike any other; the camping near the confluence with the Paria "River", which also enters as a slot from the left before widening out downstream, is excellent, with a high bench above the flood zone. Only a trickle of water comes out of Buckskin at this point, but it is reliable, with a spring on the right side of the gulch adjacent to the campsite. Permits are a must, and should be obtained 4 months before you desire to go.
The next day, hike up the Paria Canyon to the Whitehouse campground (water available at Ranger station), under Slidie Rock with only the kestrels zooming overhead and the relentless wind. You need to arrange a shuttle for this hike because the Wire Pass trailhead (camping available with pit toilets but no water) is over 12 miles from Whitehouse.