Broads Fork Trail

Broads Fork Trail is a 4.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Salt Lake City, UT that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

cave

This is a beautiful, steep trail following a raging creek in the spring. It has relatively little traffic, and lots of shade relative to many Salt Lake hikes. The trail ends near a pond in a high valley.

Fairly significant grade over most of the clearly marked and well traversed trail. Nearly the entire trail is under a moderately thick canopy. Nice waterfall a little more than halfway up. Semi open meadow at the summit with great views of surrounding peaks.

Had a great time. Attempted Twin peak but had to turnaround due to time. Broad Fork is a great trail for active hikers. Twin peak is all up and has incredible views of the mountain area.

Great run up and down the trail. Beautiful scenery!
Did 4.85 miles.

One of the best up Big C.

Hike was mostly uphill for the 2+ miles, though there were a few flatter spots to break the near-constant uphill climb. At the end are two small ponds. Quiet trail with a nice water cascade along part of the trail. This trail does continue on to Twin Peaks which is a much longer and more elevated climb

The hike was beautiful and only ran into a handful of hikers along the way. Agree with the other descriptions: difficult, all uphill (which is a knee killer on the way down), no way this is less than 9-10 miles round trip. For those others that have done the full summit to Twin Peaks - any advice? I scrambled to the saddle and felt very uneasy the whole time from the base of the rock field. Steep, lots of loose rocks, moments of rock scrambling/climbing that I was sure would lead to my death :). I know there's other routes - I'm not a super technical hiker so wondering if i went up the wrong way. Can't find a great site for this info.

Moderate to hard trail. Therefore, it is definitely a trail less traveled. Saw one other hiker. Leave early with plenty of water, as the distance is deceptive and likely incorrect (as other reviewers noted). It is pretty much uphill all the way with very little flat stretches. What is a test of your cardiac and respiratory fitness going up, changes to test of your knees and toes holding up coming down.
The natural aspen grove is spectacular. As you head up, the vandalized knife markings on the aspen barks peter out.
Yes, there is some scrambling to do, taking a pair of work gloves can come in handy. Proper hiking shoes is key. Attempting to hike this train on trainers or sandals is likely a mistake.
Pay attention coming down. The nice rock edges that served as excellent foothold going up can do a number on your face coming down with an errant step.
Planned stops: Water fall, aspen grove and the 'bowl' with wild flowers.
Unplanned stops: many!
Definitely my favorite trail also.

Broad forks in one of my favorite trials up big cottonwood canyon! Less packed than the Lake Blanche trail. Has beautiful wild flowers later in the summer. Hiked it about a week ago and it wasn't as pretty as when I went last year (late July) but non the less it was still a fun hike! It's uphill almost the entire way other than when you reach the two little valleys on the way up! The ideal time to go would be July when wildflower are in full bloom. Would recommend this hike to everyone!

The trail less traveled...thankfully. When you come to the parking area for the trailhead you are overwhelmed with cars. Thankfully everyone is heading up to Blanch Lake. We took Broads Fork and we were absolutely delighted. It is a steep trail. It is shaded. You will pass through a lovely meadow and on to a basin valley with a stream and pond. We stopped here but you can continue to climb to the ridge line on beyond.

Fantastic trail. Well worth the effort! At a fast pace, can be done in under two hours. Left at 7:00 AM and had it all to myself! Beautiful falls and great snowy bowl!

We hiked to the basin/high valley just before the twin peaks. Absolutely wonderful hike. Quite steep for most of the ascent, but the views at the top, both back into big cottonwood and up at the summit, were some of my favorite in Utah. Highly recommend this hike.

I'd like to come back sometime soon and hike the entire trail!

It's a great favorite. If you're not a summiteer that's okay, you'll be in awe in the basin.

Hard core day hike. To avoid the "crux" tiptoe scramble along the ridge, scramble BELOW the ridge after you cross it and then follow the steep couloir to the saddle. Best done at midsummer, when the bowl itself and the couloir are still full of stable summer snow. VERY rapid glissade/run back down the bowl. Stick to the north slope of the bowl to avoid summer avalanches coming off Sunrise Peak.

This hike should be rated as strenuous. Took the Robinson variation and loved the scramble. One of my favorite peak hikes in Utah.

Overall this was a successful hike. I recommend it to "experienced" hikers. It should be categorized as moderate to difficult. When you arrive at the glacier run off, the trail splits, right & left. Take the left!! I ended up going right and climbed my way up an icy/steep chute. As I arrived at the top of the chute I then had to traverse across a steep/sketchy ridge line in order to reach the base of the twin peaks base. I ended up descending down the other trail which is mostly steep Boulder hoping and loose rock. The summit offers amazing views. I also saw 2 mountain goats and around 10 deer while hiking.

Very hard hike, especially at the summit. Very rewarding though!

rock climbing

The best method up is from the lower S-Curve (parking lot if you can a spot). Here, at about 6,125', you've 6.5-7.0 miles of moderate to difficult hiking to the top of Broad's Fork Twin Peak at 11,330'.

"We scrambled up, down, and across loose rocks, up and over rock walls (some low class 5 material with significant exposure), and up steep, loose couloirs to the summit of Broads Fork Twin Peaks 6.5 miles from the trailhead."
-SchLife Life is Good (circa 2010).

Many say that the hike is 3.5 miles, one way; that figure is wrong. Starting at about 6,125' at the S-Curve to the top you've a total vertical for at about 5,200'. Find further proof of mileage in the above "SchLife is Good" quote, one covers this ~5,200' vertical in about 6.5 miles -- one way, making it 13 miles round trip to the East Peak of these Broad's Fork Twin Peaks.

I just hiked it today with my son (August 1, 2015). I can guarantee that after 40 years of hiking (e.g., King's Peak, Honey Comb Cliffs, Mt. Olympus, etc.) there's no way the hikers out there could climb the peak in highly suspect [i.e., incorrect] 3.5-3.8 miles one way from the bottom of S-Curve - unless one could fly a straight line up there like a bird. Again, the above quote from "SchLife is Good" AND my pedometer put this climb in the 6.5 - 7.0 miles one way and a 13-14 round trip range. (My body and my son's bodies' painful condition both tells us that too.)