Big Elk Lake Trail

Big Elk Lake Trail is a 16.1 mile out and back trail located near Kamas, UT that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from July until August.

off road driving

From Kamas, go 158 miles west on Highway 150 to Forest Road 035 and turn left, This road climbs onto Norway Flats. Norway Flats Road starts innocently enough as it turns off of Highway 150, but it forks several times where there are no markers and the maps don't show. Stay with the road that shows the most wear until you are about 6 miles from Highway 150: turn right (east). If you stay on the road most traveled (to the left), you will end up at a beaver pond just below Hourglass Lake. This is the wrong starting place. Go back to the road that turned east and follow it down to the trailhead. You may need a four-whel vehicle to cover the last mile to the trailhead.

I would not call this an easy trail. Advanced 4WD to get in from Mirror Lake Hwy (we hiked the last 2.5 miles), trail not clearly marked, super marshy areas. Beautiful hike and rough road keeps out the masses.

This road is really really bad. I have a lifted, high clearance (xterra) vehicle and I had a slow difficult time getting to the trail head. It is a very pretty lake but I don't think I will ever drive up there again.

There are better lakes in the Uintah's. Mosquito's were brutal.

My friend and I planned a trip to Little Elk Lake, then a hike to Big Elk Lake. The road is definitely a four wheel drive road, need to be better marked, It's hard to follow the well used road when nobody has been there for a long, long time. the last sign for 035 point the wrong way and we drove right past Little Elk Lake and no signs of a trail for Big Elk Lake. If you go take your map and compass.