North Skyline Trail

North Skyline Trail is a 21.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Ogden, UT that features a great forest setting and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

North Skyline Trail is one of the access trails for hiking to Ben Lomond and Willard Peaks. Elevation gains are gradual and after a few miles of switchbacks you will hold the ridge most of the remaining trail. North Skyline Trail is a multiple purpose trail and you may come across hikers, bikers, trail motorcycles and horsemen. This trail is used year round with x-country skier's and snowshoer's using the trail in the winter months. The views along this trail are fantastic and you can see most of the valley below as you hike along the ridge line. No water sources are available so remember to carry enough water.

This was probably the longest and hardest hike we have ever been on. We are pretty regular hikers we go on 2-4 hikes a week but this was super intense. The top and final switch backs up the side of mount Ben Lomond were brutal. Based on reviews we figured we would be okay starting at 10 but we ended up stuck on the mountain unprepared night hiking. This is not the best mountain to night hike due to mountain lions and bears but it was absolutely gorgeous seeing the sun setting on the way down. I would honestly suggest taking camping items in case you do get stuck like we did. I would have rather camped out then walked back in the dark!! Overall beautiful views of the city of ogden and eden as well as Willard bay, antelope island, and salt lake. You truly will feel in top of the world.

off road driving

Absolutely love this trail; we will often begin at Surfers beach and ride to Lewis Peak then over to No Ogden Divide and back to Surfers Beach. Its around 22 miles but so much fun. The trails have been widened which makes it not as nerve wracking as it was in previous years.
We've discussed making a night of it a couple times, but haven't yet. There are a few spots to do this though.
Everyone is always polite, dont go on a Saturday or holiday though. We rode on Labor Day and it was very busy....still fun, just busy.

Does anyone know if its maintained by a club or if its all Forest Service? Id love to help out.

It's a long, demanding hike but worth it!

Great Hike! Beautiful views!
Leisurely hiking, it took me about 8 hours round trip. I left the trail head at 0815 and had lunch on top.
Took a little over 5 liters of water and only had a little left over (100oz camel back and 4 frozen 20oz bottles). I froze the bottles the night before and then packed them against the bladder in my pack before I left home. By the time I needed to refill the bladder they had melted. Had cold water for the duration of the hike!
Decent level areas for camping just before you reach the second set of switchbacks. There were a few places on the backside of the peak too, but it was really windy up there.
Overall a great hike! Next time I go, I plan on leaving later in the day and making it an over-nighter so that I can watch the sun go down and see the city light up! :-)

Much less intensive than anticipated to summit Lomond, but final pitch and views from top were well worth 16+ mi round trip. Mixed use trail - motorbikes frequently need to pass on the narrow trail, but all were respectful and considerate. 5 hrs up and down with breaks.

it was by far the longest hike I have ever been on but it was way worth the exercise.

I was mountain biking and it was gravel and loose shake almost the entire way to the summit. It's probably a good one for hiking but I think where this is motorbike accessible they've created a lot of loose rock and due to the angle it's pretty rough to get good purchase and keep going.

Once you get on top the path is nice and the views are great. I just wouldn't suggest it for mountain biking. Come from the other side.

Fun just bring enough water

Love!

Loved it!

It was nice, left at 0700 made it to the top of Ben Lomond at noon ate lunch, it was cool and windy up there. Amazing views! Headed back down to north Ogden Divide. It was great! 16 miles!

Long but rewarding trail. Not very crowded and plenty of wildlife.

Beautiful tough run, well worth it. Great trail to run to prepare for technical races

Loved this trail. Started from the divide, and headed up the switchbacks. Made it as far as Chilly, and pushed up to the top. Plenty of mountain goats on top, and a rattlesnake that wasn't too happy I was disturbing him. I followed a smaller trail along the ridge a little to the east of the official trail before doubling back and heading home. Great views on this trail, and not too steep. Definitely watch for snakes though, besides the one I saw on top, there was another I had to wait for to move off the trail.

Great hike. Took the North Fork trailhead to the peak which is about 14 miles there and back. Bring lots of water and make use of the shade.

My friend and I hiked this a week ago and my tips are these. Bring sunscreen (or bug spray combo if possible) and lots of water. I was told there was some small streams from melted snow but there wasn't so bring at least 4-6 litres of water. It is a beautiful hike and you get killer views from the summit. We took the North Ogden Canyon trailhead and it took us about 4 hours to reach the summit and 2 hours to descend. MAKE USE OF THE SHADED PARTS!

I have enjoyed hiking all around here, but had never taken it all the way to the Peak. Started out when it was nice and cool in hopes of eating a nice lunch on top. The trail is in great shape and you just can't beat the views from here, unlike any of the others around the area. It is a long one from the Divide but so worth it.

We hiked this back in June. If you want to feel a great accomplishment - hike this trail. I loved it and once you make your way past the snow patches towards the top to the summit . . . You feel like you are on top of the world. If you bring you dog put them on a leash near the top - no matter how good they are. We watched a poor hiker lose his dog when she went chasing after some mountain goats. Bring sunscreen - even when it feels cool - you get a lot if sun.

Still a lot of snow at the top but a great hike.