Bells Canyon Trail to Lower Falls

Bells Canyon Trail to Lower Falls is a 4.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Sandy, Utah that features a lake and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until September.

14 minutes ago

I did this today. It was all packed snow the whole time. I had no crampons and slipping was a concern in steep parts. I fell about 4 or 5 times in the final descent to the waterfall. I decided not to go all the way down to the base of the waterfall because I wasn't sure if I could make it back up.

Just did this yesterday. It was ICCCCCCYYYYYY. Please be careful. Im an experienced hiker, and busted my BUTT and have a large abrasion on my butt because of it (tore my leggings etc.) This is one of my all time favorite hikes in the area, when its not snowy. If you're doing this one this time of year PLEASE bring spikes/crampons/snow trax for grip. Also, since all trails can NEVER get anything right, we mapped it with our GPS device. It is exactly 5.4 miles RT from the Granite Trailhead.

Trail is slightly muddy with patches is snow and ice above the lower reservoir. Packed Snow up to the lower Falls so chains are helpful in the steep sections. The snow is deep enough above the Falls that snowshoes are helpful to avoid the occasional post holing. Beautiful in the winter and uncrowned first thing in the morning.

Beautiful any time of year. Love this hike.

This hike never gets old. It's as beautiful in the summer as it is in the winter

I do this hike at least once a year, definitely a Utah staple. It gets steep in some parts but nothing unmanageable.

1st time on this trail in winter, fun stuff! Snow is very packed down on Granite trail and pretty icy up to reservoir, glad I had poles and slip-on spikes/crampons(OUTAD brand on AMAZON only $25, soooo worth it). The closer you get to the waterfall the more beautiful the surroundings, but the more steep and slick so be careful!

Great hike, well used. The snow was packed so I didn't have to use my snow shoes. A little bit slippery. I would recommend using a par of the hiking cleats to give you better traction.

Takes a quick 20-45 to get to the reservoir. From there you can access dozens of trails or head up to the waterfall. I've hiked it over 50 times this year and still have so much to explore. It isn't too deep in the canyon so the conditions aren't brutal.
It is a quick getaway for me even in my busiest of days.

This is a popular hike with a well groomed trail. And although the last quarter mile is steep (as depicted on the elevation map) the rest of the hike is moderate at best and to be honest not that interesting. Admittedly the falls and the canyon are quite beautiful. If you continue past the falls, the trail will end in a nice overlook. That said, with all of Utah's beautiful trails, this is not a hike I'd recommend.

I love this hike! It's a fairly moderate elevation gain until the very end it picks up a bit and there's a long stretch of bouldering rocks up hill. Once you gain the elevation to the water fall, there's a bit of technical hiking to get down to the water fall so just be careful there if it's Icey or wet. But the pay off is worth it, very rewarding views of Salt Lake City as well as the lower waterfall it's self is beautiful.
Several places along the way to use a life straw or water purifier as well.