Beartrap Fork Trail

Beartrap Fork Trail is a 4.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Salt Lake City, UT that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from April until September.

snowboarding

Directions from Salt Lake City: The trail begins about 10 miles up Big Cottonwood Canyon (7000 South Wasatch Blvd.) on private land. The trail is not marked.

My favorite trail ever!

Ended up coming down this trail from hiking up to Desolation Lake. It is a beautiful, quiet side canyon. Would be very steep going up, and was somewhat difficult in places coming down (especially closer to the ridgeline). There were several downed trees and some creek crossings along the way.

this hike was awesome. it was very much up hill but when you get to the top the view is awesome and you can see the lake. we went down to the lake and coming back up was very steep. even though it kicked our butt's it was still worth it!

Safe to snowshoe up in the winter if you avoid the open spaces on the west side of the canyon.
Fun to hike and join with the Wasatch Crest/Park City Ridgeline in the summer

Hiked to the ridge overlooking the Canyon Ski resort. Great hike.

Loved this hike. Went over Labor day weekend with my hiking buddy and saw NO ONE else on the Beartrap Fork Trail. Once we hit the Great Western trail we saw shared the trail with a few mountain bikers, a couple of trail runners and a few hikers. It is worth following the Great Western Trail to overlook Desolation Lake and down into the Canyons ski resort. The views are spectacular. We were startled by 2 bull moose bedding near the trail on the way down. They seemed unimpressed with us and were more likely letting us know they were around and to keep walking. The trail head is hard to find. If you are driving up Big Cottonwood look for a road named Beartrap Fork road to the left just as you enter the Brighton cottage area. You can park on the side of the road and hike the paved road to the end where you connect with the trail. Take a right and keep hiking up and up and up. The trail has some shady areas as well as open meadow. As stated the trail is well maintained but it is steep ( we were thankful for trekking poles). The stream bed was dry this time of year. Took us 3.5-4 hours in total with a break for lunch and to enjoy the views.

This is another route to Desolation Lake and Trail. This one is much less traveled and more steep. Route is not cleared marked at the end due to erosion. It is also shorter in distance. You end up on top of the lake. It gets more windy and much cooler there.

When you reach the top, you are on Wasatch Crest Trail/Great Western Trail. You may see some bikers there.

Nice, quick, quiet and somewhat inclined hike. I got charged by a mother grouse. The views from the top over to Canyons is great. It is somewhat tricky to find though if you don't know what to look for.

We started at the very bottom and hiked the 3 or so miles up to where you can see Desolation Lake. The hike from the start was pretty up hill and was consistently so though the whole way up. The 0.5 miles down to Desolation Lake are definitely worth it! Going back down the trail was a little tough due to the gravely trails so there was some slipping going on. But I would definitely recommend the trail!

This is a beautiful trail! Not too challenging until the last mile where the incline is a bit steeper. Still totally doable and totally worth it. Saw two deer on the way up and one on the way down. You meet up with with the Wasatch Crest trail at the top of Beartrap Fork and can head up to Desolation Peak (which you should do, it's a very short climb!) or continue along the Wasatch Crest to a gorgeous view of Desolation Lake, Gobbler's, Raymond and Kessler.

Great short trail for snowshoeing. It takes you to a ridge where you can look over into Canyons resort. You can also see down to Desolation Lake. Would like to hike this in the summer then I can give a report on the trail itself.

Start 0.31 miles down the canyon from Beartrap Road at gate with watershed sign across from Rivers End Road/Coyote Run Lane street signs.

I attempted to hike this hike today. I went to where both the internet/this app told me to go. All the "trails" I hit were labeled with "private property". I finally gave up looking for the trail head and climbed up to lake Mary instead. Total let down. Boo.