Anasazi Trail

Anasazi Trail is a 2.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Ivins, UT that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until October.

Walk this trail! First of all, if you're a runner, this is a good trail for you -- hard packed surface, slow incline.

The trail itself doesn't have much to look at as you're hiking, but the view at the top is worth it! Slight incline, lots of switchbacks, and at the top you'll stumble onto more petroglyphs than I've ever seen in one place! And the more you look, the more you will see!

The trail will continue further, and the view is great. You'll even see where someone got creative and turned a large boulder into a dinosaur head. It will definitely bring a smile to your face.

Be wise -- pack plenty of water as there is no shade!

While the trail itself isn't superb, the Anasazi homestead and dozens of petroglyphs make this an outstanding hike. The views of the Santa Clara river are also quite nice.

Cool

Fairly easy hike up the hill to some of the best Petroglyphs this area has to offer! Be sure to follow the trail that leads down into the big rocks as well, that's where you will find some of the bigger petroglyphs!

great trail to exercise, I walk it 3-5 times a week. I mainly just walk from Ivins trail head to the petroglyphs about 1.5 miles one way. you can see lizards, jack rabbits, cotton tail, quail, humming birds and beware of rattle snakes. they sometimes in the drainage pipes. do to rain trail is not to friendly for strollers. enjoy!

The petroglyphs were amazing! We hiked with a guide that was a retired archaeologist which allowed us to appreciate the experience much more. From a hiking perspective, it was an easy walk.

Awesome petroglyphs if you find them. Zero shade for hotter days but great views of the surrounding area the whole way up. I didn't mind the black drainage pipes as it's pretty evident from the washouts that this trail is a pain in the butt to keep whole.

As far as finding the glyphs I would recommend following the trail along the ridge until it intersects with the Tata'ansi trail. From there scramble down into the rocks to your right and work your way back towards the parking lot. Look for larger boulders with flat surfaces facing towards the Santa Clara river. You'll be rewarded with some awesome finds!

Loved the trail. We started in Santa Clara, and didn't see any of the drainage pipes the other posters talked about. The views of the canyon were incredible. We hiked about two miles up, and didn't see many petroglyphs. I would have loved to see more, but had four kids (ages 7-12) with us who were hot and tired and more than ready to go back. I wish we would have had some sort of guide to tell us how much further we would have had to go to see more petroglyphs.

The trail is just OK. I agree with other reviews that the ugly black drainage pipes were unsightly and could have been done better, but once you get to the top where the petroglyphs are, the view, rock formation, and rock drawings are incredible! We enjoyed our short little hike after all and took some awesome photos!

The hike itself wasn't anything great. The petroglyphs at the end were ok. We only saw a handful of them. (Maybe we missed all the good ones???) The views of the mountains and river however, were beautiful. Would I hike this again? No. We had 7 kids (5-14)with us. They gave the hike 2.5 stars and said they liked the tepees and the swing on the other side of the parking lot the best. We hiked this 11/28/2014.

Nice trail, easy hike.

well when the trail is started in santa clara rather then ivans and is taken through the canyon it's a most wonderful and beautiful hike. It's close to 8 miles but petroglyphs are plentiful through out the entire hike, they're just hiding and waiting to be discovered! It's one of me and my kids favorite hikes it's well worth the extra milage and taking the extra time to discover all the ancient petroglyphs!
love this hike!

The petroglyphs at the end of this hike are phenomenal, and the only reason I can even award one star to my rating. The trail itself was quite droll.

For starters, it traverses the hillside with very tight switchbacks. Out of respect we stayed true to the path, but it was tempting to cut off the end of each turn, and many little offshoot paths were evidence that the route was counter intuative. As the view basically never changes changes, it wouldn't have hurt my feelings for them to have cut a few yards out!
Other than that, every few feet of the trail has ugly, black plastic drainage tubes protruding from each side of the trail. Ugly. There are other ways to allow drainage!
The most, best petroglyphs will be found if you take a left at each intersection. When you get to the top, scramble down the rocks to the right .

Took my four kids ages 4 to 11 and they really enjoyed it.. easy enough for them... the views of ivins are great... On the rocks It can get a little dangerous for the kids but keep an eye on them. We enjoyed the petroglyphs and the kids's reactions to them... a lot of history here..