Amethyst Lake Trail

Amethyst Lake Trail is a 11.7 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Kamas, UT that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from July until September. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

fly fishing

This 6 mile trail starts as the Stillwater trail in the Stillwater Fork of the Bear River Drainage. After about 4 miles from the trailhead you come to the Amethyst Lake Trail which forks to the left. The first 2 miles of the trail are quite steep and rocky . The trail ends at Amethyst Lake which is situated within the timberline transition zone in a cirque basin at the head of the Ostler Fork Drainage. Most people camp at the end of a long meadow 1.5 miles before you get to the lake where there is more protection from the wind.

love this trail, i recorded 14.5 miles out and back, but i did lose the trail a bit in about a foot a snow near the lake.

Long but worth it!!

Great hike - We did a one night out and back, my only gripe was I wish we stayed longer. You couldn't ask for a better setting and reward at the end. The whole hike was gorgeous though, filled with streams, meadows, steeps, etc.. Fair warning though, it's a longer than advertised hike - The Garmin had it 6.6mi (13.2 RT) from parking lot trailhead to the lake.

Backpacked up to Amethyst Lake with our dog last Sunday, camped overnight at the lake's edge and headed down Monday mid-day. It was so nice to go off of peak weekend times; only passed a handful of people and had solitude at the lake. It was gorgeous and peaceful. No bugs. It stayed light out until late, temp was perfect. You can have a fire (be smart) and plenty to see while there. We didn't get to see Ostler Lake but heard it's worth finding. The hike itself is difficult at times, but I would agree with moderate overall. Perfect getaway.

Great trail!!!

beautiful trail with plenty of different sceneries. good to camp.

Very beautiful place! Lots of wildlife and wonderful fishing! The only thing bad was the wind

Gorgeous. No other words. Worth the hike 12 times over.

Beautiful hike and lake! This trail actually was longer than 11 miles, it was more like 14 miles in and out. We took our dog with us, dog friendly area, just be sure to clean up after your dog. The views were spectacular. The trail was great, after the fork in the trail (half way up) to go up to amethyst the trail got harder, especially with our packs. It was challenging but well worth the hike. We got rain on our return date, so the trail was muddy. Be sure to bring a rain jacket just incase and a jacket for the evening, it's chilly also bring hiking poles to help with balancing (rocky, rooty and muddy (if it's raining) trail)! The evening sky was amazing. It got cool at night but a fire was not necessary, later in the middle of the night, it got cold so be sure to have a warm sleeping bag. BTW, we saw people fishing at the lake, so if you're into fishing don't forget to bring your fishing pole.

4th mile is ugly tiring, so take your time. Was some newly fallen trees, and lots of dead wood around, so be extra careful if backpacking and have a fire.

Great hike and camping!

It was breathtaking. Hiked in on July 9th. Great trail conditions, the lake was beautiful, and just as we caught glimpses of the lake there were 3 moose grazing in a meadow.

Very beautiful hike with grassy meadows and tall peaks along the way. Amethyst lake is very big compared to other lakes I have hiked to. The only thing that was even a little bad about this backpack trip was the insane amount of mosquitos. Don't forget mosquito repellent.

A really great hike. Moderately steep, but not too bad. Big payoffs at the end with some beautiful peaks, meadows, and lakes. Solitude can be found by exploring the basin a bit and finding a secluded spot to camp. I remember doing this backpacking trip with my dad when I was young, and it's still one of my favorite 20+ years later.

This hike would be a 5-stars if it wasn't so busy always. Wildlife, scenery, but not much solitude. I did find a few spots off the trail to camp that provided the solitude I was seeking, but anywhere on trail and you'll be passing folks frequently. The section of falls that follows along side the trail is spectacular and breathtaking.

This was my first ever backpacking trip. I am a heavy set guy so any hike is tough for me, but this hike was brutal. So worth it though. There are two lakes up at the top, one named Ostler lake and the other Amethyst lake. I personally thought Amethyst Lake was a disappointment after seeing Ostler Lake.

I would also say this hike is not 12 miles, the gear I had with me estimated about 14.5 miles round trip. Parts of the trail are a bit sketchy make sure to take the time to verify that you are on the trail. Good Luck.

I went backpacking up here and it was AMAZING! The way up for the first bit is not as scenic. There's a few waterfalls that are really cool though. As you get more to the top is when you really see the meadows and all of the surrounding mountains and trees. Gorgeous lake too! Very easy to find a camp spot and many options! It's all so gorgeous! Would definitely do this a million times!!!