Allsop Lake Trail

Allsop Lake Trail is a 16.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Evanston, UT that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and fishing and is accessible from July until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

17.0 miles 2037 feet Out & Back

Allsop is situated in a small cirque basin at the head of the Left Hand Fork of the East Fork Drainage. Access is 8.5 miles southeast of the East Fork-Bear River Trailhead on the East Fork and Left Hand Fork pack trails

This is a great destination that really gets you a feel for what the Uintas have to offer. A friend and I did it during mid-August this year (2016) with packs. We split it up into 3 days, making things pretty easy on us for day 1 and 2, with the whole trek back being done on day 3.

The trail up to Allsop Lake was difficult to follow at times. It weaves through some marshy areas where the grasses have overgrown the trail. There are a few cairns that will help you find your way, keep an eye out for those.

We saw a few cows, but not so many that there wasn't a place to camp as has been said by others. The weather was a little unpredictable (as always in the Uintas) but we didn't get soaked at any point, which was good. If you proceed south once reaching the lake (along the eastern shore), you'll find a spot with some boulders where we camped quite peacefully on our second night, very nice spot.

If you're up for an adventure: I had wondered about the possibility of traversing the ridge between Allsop and Deadhorse Lake before we left. I made an attempt without my pack to pick my way up a gulley to the southeast of our camp, and was successful in reaching a ridge south of The Cathedral. However, I don't recommend doing so unless you're very comfortable moving through loose rock and aren't planning on carrying a pack with you. The steepness, combined with the nature of the scree would make the gulley very tough to climb with a pack. Anyways, at the top of that ridge there was a gorgeous view of Deadhorse to the east and Allsop back to the west, along with the cirques surrounding both. Worth it if you're experienced and stupid enough to try it. Be careful going back down, I tried to find a different route and nearly fell twenty feet where the cliffs shear back. Go back down the same gulley, it seems to be the only way down.

Nice easy but long trail to a nice alpine cirque. The lake is pretty, but a bit on the small side. Unfortunately the area was completely trashed by cattle while I was there. The trail was destroyed, and the meadows and flowers completely trampled and killed from the cattle. It was near impossible to find a spot to pitch my tent due to the fact that there was a cow pie every 2-3 feet on all flat areas.

Trail is seldom used beyond the falls (5 miles) Very quaint, narrow drainage that climbs steadily deom the top of the falls until Allsop is reached. Trail is faint in places but you cant get lost. Lower portion goes through the 2008 burn scar. Pristine meadows and decent fishing.

Good trail that climbs steeply once it leaves the river. It sits in a beautiful drainage.