Adams Canyon Trail

Layton, Utah
Adams Canyon Trail is a 3.8 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Layton, UT that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from April until December. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Directions from Salt Lake City: Travel north on Highway 89 and take the first right past Oakhills Road (Layton City Water Tank). Take another right (south) on the frontage road. Park at the end of pavement at fenced off reservoir. Trail starts on north side of the reservoir. This trail has good access to the Bonneville Shoreline Trail.

Excelente

We are amateur hikers but we did this with my 6 and 11 year old daughters! The switchbacks were hot but once we got thru that, we were met with shade and running water. Its pretty easy going the first half and then the terrain gets a little rough. Maybe 20 minutes out from the Big waterfall, my 6 year old needed a lot of support to not slip on the rocks. The waterfall is GORGEOUS. If you can make it, dont turn around, Its worth making it to the end. We will definitely do this hike again but i wouldnt take inexperienced small children the full distance without an adult partner for assistance.

My favorite hike. Beautiful scenery all around as you make your way to the waterfall

My new local favorite! First 1.5 miles is pretty easy to a little moderate. Mostly shaded and right along the river. Last .25 miles is moderate to difficult, with a steep climb up rocks. I personally enjoyed it and my 8 and 10 year old did great. Probably wouldnt recommend that last stretch for elderly though. We hike a lot and got done in just over 2 hours (not counting lunch break at the top). You will probably need to carry your dog down the switch backs, its sandy and hot, but the rest they will be just fine. These were the easiest switchbacks we have done so dont let that scare ya! Very fun will do again soon!

The waterfalls are beautiful along the way, don't turn around before you see the one at the end! Great workout, steep in some areas.

This is rated as moderate, but it really depends on your skill level. I am a 63-year-old female who hikes once a week with a hiking group and it was definitely a challenge for me! I would rate it strenuous and would not take young children! There are many steep parts and lots of rocks to climb over! There are actually three waterfalls on the way... one small one, one that is more of a cascading waterfall. And the magnificent one at the end! At the end you must walk through the creek to get around where you can see the big waterfall! We hiked this trail on the 19th of August and it still had plenty of water in the creek!

beautiful place to be and a lot of people you see.

Starts with unshaded switchbacks but once you get into the canyon it's beautiful and very easy going. Well used trail and good for the family.

The view is breathless, the sound of the river is very relaxing all the way to the Huge waterfall. Some areas are a bit challenging but I would definitely do it again. The waterfall is gorgeous. It took us awhile to reach there. The hikers we met on our way were very helpful in guiding us. Love It!!

Pretty easy trail with a nice waterfall at the end.

Adams Canyon is a great hiking trail for most ability levels. It can be completed from start to finish in about 3 hours tops. Once you get closer to the top though, there are a few climbing obstacles that can get kindof challenging, but not too bad. I have seen quite a few little children on this trail (ages 3-5ish) with their parents, although I would not advise taking your younguns unless they are able to climb fairly well on their own. What's nice about this trail is it's nice no matter what time of day you decide to go. The switchbacks in the beginning can be uncomfortable if it's a hot day, but they only take about 20-30 minutes to get through before you reach the canyon where it's nice and cool, and shaded throughout the remainder of much of the trail. A beautiful waterfall is your reward for reaching the top! Be advised that you WILL need to cross the river in order to actually see the waterfall, so be prepared to get wet. Take a pair of water shoes if you have them so you don't have to take off your shoes, or hike back down in wet socks and boots. Also, I would recommend taking a bottle or two of water as well.

Once your passed the switch backs and into the mountains and shade that hike was awesome. Very pretty the whole way up.

Fun and exhausting, lots of sun and sand for the first bit but once you're in the mountains it's gorgeous.

We only got to the small waterfall but it was beautiful! :-)

Love it!

Beautiful hike, hot the first part, but once you get to the trees and river it is just beautiful. A note to dog owners: we cleaned up approximately 12 BAGS left along the trail and thrown in the trees, dog poo will decompose, the plastic bags used to pick up dog poo does not. PLEASE be responsible with your dog. If your dog poops on the trail, bag it and take it home to throw away, (hook it to your dogs collar if you don't want to carry it yourself.) If you didn't remember to bring a bag, kick it to the side, bury it. PLEASE DON'T bag it and leave it as litter. Places we can take our pets is very limited, more trails are becoming "no dogs allowed" due to places becoming trashed. Be respectful to other hikers. Sincerely, those of us who would like our dogs to be welcome to go places with us.

Awesome diverse trail with beautiful scenery and spots of challenging climbs.