Walnut Grove Trail

DIFFICULTY 3 reviews

Walnut Grove Trail is located near Grapevine, TX. The trail is primarily used for hiking.

Nice trail not very many people.

This trail wanders through the brush and under some trees in the lands along Grapevine Lake. It is very sandy, making for a slower hike. Make sure your footwear supports your ankles. I enjoyed the lake views in the mid-section and the Big Bluestem grasses at the south end. The trail is 3/4 sunny and 1/4 shade. I encountered only one person on the Walnut Grove portion of the trail on a summer Friday's mid-morning. The only downside of the trail was the lack of signage. Often I came to an intersection marked by a blank or broken-off post. On my way back, I had to use my own footprints to make sure I was on the right trail. Intuition and common sense served me well enough, but I hope the signage is improved soon. Still a lovely way to spend the day.

This was a nice scenic and quiet trail along the Southlake portion of Lake Grapevine. We did the North Shore Trail the prior weekend and were constantly jumping off the trail to avoid getting slammed by bikers. This trail is for hikers and equestrians. We saw only two other people hiking and three riders. During the heat of summer, we try and find trails that are about 5 miles in length. Exposure was sunny and shady. Views of the lake and meadows. Our legs got a little scratched up due the wild nature of the trail. But we both really enjoyed the hike. I am new to this app, so started recording my track about .3 miles in from the trailhead. To get there from Dallas, you take Hwy 114 West to the White Chapel exit in Southlake. Take a right and follow all the way to the end and a little gravel parking lot.