Spring Lake Trial

Spring Lake Trial is a 4.3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near San Marcos, TX that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Great-perfect for the kids and dog!

Nice

Great trail

Lots of fun! Dogs are sacked out now. Lots of trail choices.

we've frequented Spring Lake Natural Preserve as a group for hiking and have been just about every season and each time we find something new ... we love that its not a busy trail but its saddens us at the same time that more people aren't aware of this little treasure. This Saturday we actually came upon some trails we had not seen before - Cascade and porcupine ... well we did several even some trails not listed.... started on Tonkawa - blind salamander- blue stem- porcupine and cascade I'm sure I'm missing one somewhere oh the short wickups one as well -- so much to experience the best 5.15 miles I've spent on a sm trail we shall return again and again -

Lovely ride. The trail is inside aquarena golf park. The first trail Tonkawaya is uphill for about 5 mins, 6' wide crushed rock. Once you get past that you have several loop trails from easy to intermediate. Some fun uphills and down hills with rock gardens. The hills are slightly on the steep side so expect for your legs to get a workout. Traffic was light, we were only bikers there but there we're a few couples and families there. Some dog poop here and there on trail. It was nice to do the fun loops but then chill out taking it easy thru wildlife sand trail, scenic easy trail. All the trails were pretty doable, on way back down blind salamander way was more of an advanced trail, take it easy if you are a beginner. P.s. The trail head is somewhat obscure, park at bottom of Hill. Also, golf course is part of university so M-F you need a parking permit during the day. The actual trail head is across the parking lot, next to some maintenance sheds. But a tree has blue blazes on them signifying it is the trail. There is some non permit parking with port a potty on lime kiln road, go up, past the gas station about quarter of a mile and is on your left.

A great place to take your kids. Well marked paths. Stop by the ticket center near the Aquarena springs to pick up a trail map.

I rode the trail with my 10 year old son this morning and we both enjoyed the experience. It was our first time on this particular trail and it has maps and sign s that help you determine your position at all times. The paths are diverse I that they are composed of both gravel and naturally formed by high traffic. We will frequent this trail in the future.

I live near this trail and use its long uphill section for exercise. The trails are short, especially in the spring and summer when half of them are closed for golden-cheeked warbler nesting season. The main trail up the hill is crushed gravel and there are some rocky loops that take you around the hill.