Stillhouse Hollow Nature Preserve

Stillhouse Hollow Nature Preserve is a 1.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Austin, TX that features a river. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking and walking.

these directions take you to Stillhouse Nature Preserve which is 1000 steps of trees and nothingness. dont waste your time

Now known as Stillhouse Hollow Nature Preserve, a fire 8/31/14 took out the observation deck - http://kxan.com/2014/08/31/afd-working-to-extinguish-nw-hills-brush-fire/. This is a short, out and back, paved path. As previously noted, dogs (and bicycles) are NOT allowed. I think the "moderate" designation is for a short section that has a switch back to the burned out observation area-- basically as easy walk or jog. Probably not easily wheelchair accessible due to the now-gated-off unpaved parking area and this short elevation change area. After the recent drought, there is no evident "river" though the bottom of the ravine is probably damp. Didn't see a single person on a gorgeous 70 degree, sunny day. I look forward to a return walk during the spring wildflower season. "This small preserve is home to a few endangered species such as the Golden-cheeked Warbler and the Black Capped Vireo."

This trail was a bit of a surprise. It's literally 30 seconds from my apartment. The trail is beautiful with lots of creek crossings and nice terrain. There's a lot of road noise from the surrounding highways but put some headphones in and you're out in nature.

I give this a 1 star, simply because of when I arrived at the site, the name of the trail was different. ( No Big Deal) however, it stated on the sigh, NO DOGS ALLOWED. I drove over 40 miles one way for something different to do with my dogs and I had to turn around and go home without even getting to take the nature trail.
I'm not sure when the name change had occurred. I'm not sure if that is an old name or new name. I posted a photo of the current signage that is present. Sorry, it is upside down.
Folks, don't waste your time if you're wanting to share the experience with your (4 Legged) kids. You'll be hugely disappointed as I was.