South Rim Trail - Boot Springs Trail

South Rim Trail - Boot Springs Trail is a 11.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Terlingua, TX that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, camping, birding, and backpacking and is accessible year-round.

A beautiful hike and well worth the effort (and it does require effort!). We went up Pinnacles and through Boot Springs to the South Rim then down Laguna Meadows. The views from the South Rim are incredible - you can see the Rio Grande and mountains in Mexico. My favorite part of the hike though was Boot Springs. The trail takes you over the rocks at the bottom of the canyon. There were a few maple trees down there that had bright orange and red leaves for Fall. The ascent on Pinnacles (or descent if you do it reverse of what we did) is much steeper than Laguna Meadows. Trekking poles are very useful on this hike! Can't wait to do this one again.

Got ENGAGED on the South Rim! One of the most beautiful hikes in the world and a MUST see in the U.S! Fantastic - chose this specifically to ask my beautiful girl to be my wife and the top of the unbeatable vista!

Hiked the South Rim Trail ten years ago. It was a pleasant hike, went up Boot Canyon, down Laguna Meadows. The views up there were majestic. We took a nap and ate lunch. On the way down halfway, came in contact with a mountain lion, was napping on the trail, we made a lot of noise, had a brief stare down, he backed down and retreated slightly into the brush, therefore allowing us to continue down the trail, a little bit faster than before. We reported the incident to the rangers. Always keep in mind, the big cats are there, and they are watching you, for the most part, they don't bother you, unless you have small children or a dog. Going back in July 2016.

Did this trail in Feb 2016. Took Pinnacles Trail to Boot Canyon to the South Rim. Pinnacle kicked my youknowwhat, but it was so worth it!! Amazing views every step of the way. It was a bit hazy so only about 25 miles visibility, but nothing to really complain about. Came down the Laguna Meadows Trail which was gorgeous as well. The trip down is actually harder for my knees so the more gradual slope was greatly appreciated. Was dog tired when I finished 8 hours after I started, but the grin is still on my face. Can't wait to do it again!!!

Three of us 16 yr old boys hiked from the Ranger Station to Boot Spring in 1952, packing our supplies on our backs and water in canteens and canvas bags. We slept on the South Rim and went on the Boot Spring the next day excpecting to see clear bubbling water. Instead there was one 3 inch deep 3 foot diameter black mudhole full of wasps, wrigglers and other critters. We were out of water and that was it. There was an old two-wire crank-type WWII phone there connected back to the station. Cranking it up, I told the ranger the situation and asked if he could send a mule-load of water. He replied only "sorry boys. you're on your own", I still remember those words. Not exactly what modern folks would expect (a helicopter?). We did what we had to do---boiled that black smelly stuff and put in a halizone tablet or two, filling each of our canteens. Then we set off the next day and made the ranger station that afternoon with swollen tongues. The song "cool clear water" by the Sons of the Pioneers is still one of my favorites.
We were all boys from Houston driving my 1947 Studebaker,
Phil Childress (still hangin' in there), Wallace Tomlinson (dec.), Bill Mount (dec.)

This trail is not for people who tire easily or have weak knees / ankles! For the most part, it's six miles uphill to the rim, then six miles back down. The trail is often steep, rocky, and uneven. The trek is worth every blister. I went up the Laguna Meadows side and back down the Boot Canyon side. Both are stunningly beautiful in their own way - Laguna Meadows for its tranquil, wide open vistas and Boot Canyon for its winding, narrow passageways. And the view from the south rim may be the best in the park, and that is really saying something!

I hiked this in March when the northeast and southeast portions of the rim trail were closed to protect peregrine falcons. The closed part is a side loop - you can still do the main 12+ miles loop!

Beautiful views. Worth the miles and elevation.

My favorite trail in Texas, stunning views.

Absolutely stunning views on this hike. This was my first time to Big Bend and I honestly could not believe that the landscape in Texas could be this breathtaking. The trail was maintained very well; it was never dangerous, and going at a reasonable pace it is definitely doable to complete in one day. I went in February 2015 and ran into a few people but really not too many for a national park. Do this hike; you won't regret it!

We went the weekend before Thanksgiving. The average temperature was in the high 60's and the lowest was 40 degrees.

This has been my favorite hike in Texas! Everywhere you turned, there was an amazing view. Trails are well marked/ The terrain changed constantly, so it was fun to hike through (sometimes you felt like you were hiking through a dessert, then a forest, then into a canyon).

We decided to do a 2 day/1night camp trip, which requires you to get a backcountry permit from the office behind the main building. Juniper Flat was our campsite. The campsite has bear boxes for you to place all your food/anything scented in there. As well as an outdoor toilets along the trail. They do not allow hammocks and there is no water along the trail.

What everyone has said about this trail is spot on. The South Rim is simply stunning. Take time when you get to the South Rim to soak in the view. This trail is rugged and despite its popularity, you can go hours without seeing a soul. I did run into a rattlesnake and it did give me a scare! We took the Pinnacles and Boot Canyon trails up and the Laguna Meadow trail down. 13.6 miles in mid-July. Hot but I have been on hotter hikes. The shady areas of the trails help a lot.

Fantastic hike! Did the whole loop minus the NE loop due to peregrine nesting. Took the side hike up to Emory Peak. Highly recommend back country site SW 4.

Hiked to south rim from the chisos mountain lodge. Great hike up pinnacles trail. South rim is best view in texas! NE rim trail was closed due to nesting Peregrine falcons. We returned via Laguna meadows trail. It was dull and boring. Wish I would have returned the way we came. So lovely.

Big Bend is our favorite National Park and the South Rim is our favorite hike. If you're going to hike any where in the park, make sure this is on your list, it won't disappoint.

This is a challenging trail for sure. But worth every bit of the effort to reach the South Rim. I hiked Laguna Meadows (almost all uphill) to South Rim Trail and camped at SW4 (best spot if you can get it). The Northeast Trail closes from February 1 - May 31 for Peregrine Falcon nesting. If you are wanting to complete the entire rim trail, you will need to adjust for that.

Hiked back down through Boot Canyon Trail, and really enjoyed the trail as it followed the canyon floor. This was my favorite section of the hike.

There is no water on the trail and you will need to carry quite a bit. It's recommended to bring 1 Gal. per person per day! That might be a good idea in the extreme summer months, but that is still a lot of water. I carried 2.5 liters and was just fine. However, it was mid March and not hot at all.

I was hoping to get to see some amazing nighttime skies, but the clouds rolled in early and was overcast the entire time.

Big Bend is a fantastic National Park and to experience it in person is the best way appreciate it.

Tremendous hike out to the south rim. It overlooks the chisos mountains and all the way into mexico over the rio grande. Its simply breathtaking. We had lunch there and i took a nap under a large cactus and aloe vera that provided some much needed shade. The trail follows the ridge/sheer cliffs for a few miles. Breathtaking views at every step.

The hike to the South Rim is the premier hike of Big Bend National Park and of Texas itself! We did this hike as part of the Outer Mountain Loop.