Slaughter Creek Trail Loop

Slaughter Creek Trail Loop is a 5.1 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Austin, TX that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Horses are also able to use this trail.

From Austin, go to the Y in Oak Hill. Continue west on Hwy 290 and turn left onto Camp Ben McCullough Rd./FM1826 (third traffic light after the Y). Drive approximately 2 miles, cross the low water bridge over Slaughter Creek and the property/gate entrance will be on your left.

good mix of technical and fast track. I prefer more elevation change and some sections washing out. Still an all around fun ride.

It's been maybe two years since I hiked this loop. I remember that it was full sun and that no dogs were allowed although I do believe that equestrians are allowed.

While there are a few rocky patches spread out along the trail that can prove troublesome if one isn't careful, the majority of the trail serves as a smooth and winding tour of a small section of Texas hill country.

Easy loop. Lovely Sunday afternoon run/hike. A bit rocky in parts, overall very mellow.

It was great

Well maintained. Not overcrowded. Not much wildlife or any views.

Rocky trail--wear proper boots. My favorite because it is close to my home and not crowded! Some hikers and bikers go the wrong way though (the signs are small). THANKS to bikers who really YIELD to hikers. However, about 1/3 of the bikers I meet don't blink and eye and expect me to yield to them!
Bikers YIELD to HIKERS !!!!!

Not a beginner bike trail. This is more of a beginner/intermediate bike trail. There were more rocks and ledges than expected. I would not bring kids here with there bikes either. I am rehabbing my knee with biking and the rocks were too much for me at this time. Not a lot of people out which is nice. Bikers are to ride clockwise and horses and hikers are to walk counter clockwise.

No pets. Not even on a leash. Drove out there saw the no pet sign and got right back in the car with my dog and drove to a different trail.

biggest downside, but completely fixable for a next time: I was ill prepared for the incredible rockiness and wasn't in good trail shoes.
Positives: it's a low use trail, so it's quiet & not crowded. The trail itself is good and there are few places in South Austin to find a 5 mile loop to trail run.
Negatives: it's a bit dry & dusty - not the type of landscape ypu find in one of the many Austin greenbelt trails.

I really enjoyed this trail. Not many places in Austin that you can go on a Saturday, and not be super crowded. The trail was nice, and there are 2 geocaches in the area.

Quiet. Peaceful. Really enjoyed this one.

The easiest way to get to the trailhead is to go to the south end of Mopac, then right on 45. At T intersection with 1826 take a right, go 1.8 miles and turn right into driveway just before creek.

Dropped Pin

near Circle C Ranch Metropolitan Park on Slaughter Creek
6301 W Slaughter Ln
Austin, TX 78739

Read the reviews. We can't find this trailhead. We drove around for an hour. Can somebody post clear directions or a map with a pun drop to the trailhead? Mucho appreciated.

nice quiet trail. saw lots of roadrunners and rabbits. very peacefull ride. that being said, it is a very simple trail. nothing real technical or challenging. but if you want an easy recovery ride or a place to let the kiddos or new riders wet their feet this is it.

Pretty nice very quiet trail set out in the countryside actual address is 9901 FM 1826, Austin, TX 78739, United States.

Pretty cool trail. We came across many roadrunners along the way, which excited my daughter. Would do this again.