Government Canyon Loop

Government Canyon Loop is a 12.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near San Antonio, TX that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

It was a great hike for novice hikers. Had a variety of trails from easy to moderate. Various terrain; meadows, small rocks, dirt, big rocks. It was a perfect day weather wise 60-80 degrees. We hiked 10 miles through a combination of trails that took us to the protected habitat area. About 600 ft of elevation variance I think.

Nice...good elevation and challenge for new hiker like me

Great warm up trail.

Great time with multiple trail options depending on your time, great scenic routes for hiking and biking just make sure you take water because you can definitely spend a long time in the wilderness, easy to follow trails.. I give it 2 thumbs up

This is the trail I saw my first painted bunting at and was wondering how a bird could be so beautiful. Wow it was in the meadow grass savannah area on a loop of the meadow itself not near the main trees and shrubs. However I did see one there too on another trip. This section allows dogs. It is completely flat and shady which is good in summer. Go to the other trails without dog for way better hills etc.

Great easy trail, nice and flat. The dog loved it.

Good place to go if you want a long distance workout. I have hiked all 47 miles of trails throughout the place. More than 50% is very rocky and hard on your feet so wear double socks or use padded shoe inserts. You will wish you had if you go over 8 miles here.

I gave this trail a 3 only because its the best I could find. Flat, boring, not many views

This is a nice easy trail for anyone of any age.