Sam Houston National Forest: South Wilderness Trail

Sam Houston National Forest: South Wilderness Trail is a 7.3 mile out and back trail located near Montgomery, TX and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is accessible year-round.

Well marked. Great scenery.

great hike, we loved the scenery and had a great time. Just watch for sticker briers

Beautiful trail if you are preparing to do something larger. Worth the day.

My favorite parts are the usually dry creek beds.

Me and my girlfriend took on this trail and it was ok, bugs where a bit bad and the trail was a little overgrown the farther you go but with the right clothing it can be done, over all it was a good and trail and I had a good time, but my girlfriend on the other hand.. We'll not so much.

We hiked part of the Little Lake Creek Wilderness loop trail in February. We parked off of Rt 149 and hiked about 1/2 mile in to get to the loop trail. It was pleasant and pretty easy hiking. We only did part of the loop & turned around and hiked back to the vehicle.

Me and two buddies hiked this on June 4, 2014. We started at trail head three of the loan star hiking trail and turned onto little lake creek loop which takes you south toward lake Conroe and the back west to the parking lot on this map. Within the first hour I found three ticks. That was on the LSHT. When we turned onto the little lake creek loop things got worse. The trail was extremely narrow and over grown. Parts were muddy and we slipped on some steep banks crossing creeks. There is very minimal elevation, but these other challenges make the trail moderately difficult. Ticks were the biggest problem. We had countless encounters with the Lone Star Tick (which is huge) and a smaller tick, possibly the nymph or a deer tick. We were packing in and planning to stay a the night, but the ticks and a broken hiking boot sent us home after seven uncomfortable hours of trudging through these thick woods.

I will say that the part of this trail marked on the map here was nicer. It felt more like the Sam Rayburn area of East Texas and was more open. There was a nice pond off a side trial to the north. Extensive maps and other info about trails in the Sam Houston forest can be found at the Lone Star Hiking Club website.

I would go back to these trails, but probably not in June-August.

We got so lost. Do not get even a little bit off the trail. Also, the trail on the map here is a bit inaccurate. This caused a lot of pain and heartache. 0/10 will not hike again

This trail is 7 miles as part of a larger trail called Little Lake Creek Loop that totals 21 miles.