Rock Garden Trail

Rock Garden Trail is a 4.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Canyon, TX that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and camping and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Rock Garden Trail climbs from a field of boulders at the bottom of the canyon to the Rylander Fortress Cliff Trail along the canyons rim.

A nice hike. Did it in November and didn't see another person til about lunch time

Did this on our second day of hiking. It was a little harder than the lighthouse trail due to the inclines during the hike. The trail ends at the top of the rim but take a left and you will be on a trail that runs along the rim and has some great views. The trail is unique as it is the one of two that go from the floor to the rim.

Did this trail on 9/4/16 on a cloudy day. A little bit of an incline almost all the way up and a few sections are quite steep. Watch out for those snakes, though! Saw a grand daddy rattler about 5' long at the top of this trail.........My favorite trail in the park!

Fun and a little challenging due to the incline. There are a couple of good places to sit and look out over the canyon. I hiked it with my 14 year old daughter and golden retriever. Great views along the way.

Great views and it's a doable add on to the Rock Garden Trail which is the only way to access it. There are no trail signs along the rim and many meandering small Spurs. It's hard to know which is the actual trail, but I would definitely do it again.

I love this trail! It's a little challenging but doable for most people. It offers amazing views from the rim, where it connects to the Rylander Fortress Cliff Trail.

My 3 kids and I hiked this trail. It was a great hike and might have pushed the kids to their limit (my kids are troopers). It took us a couple hours to the top. There are a few High areas of the trail that are very narrow with complete drop offs. This area made me a little nervous for my little ones. Awesome rock formations!!

Badly marked. We followed what we thought was the trail on the rim of the canyon. Eventually the trail (and bright pink tree markings) died out. We kept going and reached a vehicle trail which looped back to the Rock Garden trail. Rock Garden and this impromptu Fortress Cliff trail combo ended up being about 11 miles total.

Hiked this trail on a perfect warm,clear day (70° ish). Moderate but would rate it difficult for a novice hiker. Beautiful and Scenic! You will see all kinds of wildlife out and about in their element (flocks of wild Turkey, rattlesnakes basking in the sun). A little more secluded than Lighthouse trail. Passed 2 hikers going up and 1 cyclist going down. Will make a point to hike this trail on all my visits to the Canyon. Don’t forget to grab a burg at the Trading Post. You will not be disappointed.

I hike this trail several times a season. This is not an extremely difficult trail, but it is quite the workout. I take my dog on this trail all the time and have never had a problem. This trail is nice because it is a bit secluded and has very few people packing it. By far my favorite for Palo Duro Canyon trails. If you have never hiked in Palo Duro you do need to hike the Lighthouse atleast one time to go see the formation, the trail its self is not all that great.