Purgatory Creek Natural Area

Purgatory Creek Natural Area is a 9.1 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near San Marcos, TX that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from July until July. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The 463-acre Purgatory Creek Natural Area is within the Edwards Aquifer recharge zone, is home to Purgatory Creek, and includes upland meadows, canyon bluffs of 40 feet or more, dense juniper thickets, champion oaks, and a flood control dam.

Lots of beautiful butterflies floating around.

Put in at Prospect Park TH and hiked to Upper Purgatory and returned. Well marked and maintained trails.

No water. As stated, does not loop.

Some trails were pretty crowded by brush and it was a little closer to civilization than I'd like but still really nice! Also, clearly marked which is nice.

Trails need to be more define, need more maps posted and areas need to be well kept. It was just OK.

Several of the trails are washed out. Nothing fabulous about the trails. Trails not marked well and are overgrown.

Awesome

We were pretty disappointed by this trail. Part of it was closed - which was the shaded part. We went on the part of the trail that was getting full sun exposure, and it was miserably hot. The trail isn't kept up/frequented enough to keep the trail clean. The path is very narrow and flowers/weeds/plants are constantly rubbing and scratching on your shins. Wish I would have worn long pants, but then I might have passed out from the heat. There wasn't any good views. Just a rock pile, highway, and completely dried out creek bed. The trail didn't have much elevation, so it wasn't a very good workout. (The most athletic part of the hike was dodging the weeds). Somehow, we ended up on the "closed" part of the trail, as well as an area that said we would be arrested for going on. Too bad we didn't see the signs until exiting those areas. Things are not clearly marked at all. On the plus side, I got a few pics of pretty flowers...but most were dried out & dead.

We did the trail on a Thursday. Not many people and easy parking. Porta-potty at trailhead (south entrance). We had a great time and it seemed a majority of the trail was in the shade.

Would do this again

got lost in the trails but it doesn't matter we were there to get a workout and we did! great place to unwind and enjoy nature.

Amazing trail. Run it very often.

This morning I am extremely happy that I was able to photograph deer during my hike at Purgatory Creek. Then i found out a stone, which had a fossil part in it.

Today sharp 7am in the morning I started my hike at the bottom of the Purgatory Creek. I took my way to Beatrice hike. This was a unique as this trek mostly it follows the way of the stream. To day I observed a small snake which was around one and half foot, with brown and black straps on its body. I also made some photographs of birds and flowers and enjoyed a beautiful sunrise among the trees & full of nature. It was a great blessing to enjoy the nature on this fine morning.