Palo Duro Canyon State Park Trail

Palo Duro Canyon State Park Trail is a 2 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Canyon, Texas that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

scenic driving

Cactus campground located in Texas's Palo Duro Canyon state park provides access to numerous scenic trails in the park.

All trails were closed except for CCC. It was still a nice hike till I sprained my ankle. The hours listed my the park being open are subject to weather and trail conditions. So sad I drove 7 hours and couldn't hike the Rock Garden trail.

There are so many great hiking trails within PDC for all skill levels!

Awesome

Great primitive campsites especially with the shaded table. Many nice hikes in the park.

great state park with many rec. opportunities. All well maintained. Nice little Visitor Center.

The Rock Garden Trail was one of our favorites in the park. The incline is gradual and well maintained. The views and area are very different from the rest of the park. We stop at the overview but if you have more time the climb to the top of fortress ridge looks interesting

Stick to the Cliffside of the Juniper Trails. Most of the views along the Riverside are blocked by the trees. The Big Cave is a nice stop and short hike from the Juniper day use area

The CCC trail out to and along the Goodnight Peak Scenic Loop is a wonderful hike that offers great views of Palo Duro Canyon. The inclines are not bad and the trail was well maintained. It takes you from the CCC overlook out to Goodnight Peak. This is the spot that the horseman with the Texas flag rides from during the opening of the Texas Show.

we hiked the juniper cliffslide and the lowery trails today. we loved the drive into the park and the drive thru the park as well. A wonderful place that we will hike again soon.

Beautiful. 1st did Paseo del Rio, very easy. Next, We did the light house trail, you are going up hill, not too steep, until the 2.8 mile part then there is a bike rack, you lock your bike and the hike the steep remainder to the lighthouse. We did not make it up, we were using biking shoes. This is a crowded trail with people you have to watch for. We turned around and took Little Fox Trail, no one on that one , fun windy route with small down hill parts. Even some logs to cross over. Ended up back at trailhead for lighthouse and did Rojo Grande Trail. That was cool, we got to ride along a ledge of the canyon, the trail was a bit more challenging b/c was up and down and little more steep, have to switch those gears well or you will end up walking some of the hills. I was also pretty tired toward end. That was about 10 miles took us about 2 hrs. The park is well maintained and beautiful. $5 per person. It was actually a little chilly in town but at the Canyon it was warmer temp. One weird annoying thing--lots of flies, they were small and they loved our sunblock lotion, any time we stopped flies would start landing on us. Crazy amounts of flies.

Great scenery for people of any ability. You can see many sights from your car while driving the loop. The Lighthouse Trail is multi-use: hiking, horseback riding and now bikes. That makes it impossible for horses and tough on hiking as you have to dodge bikes flying up over the hills! Other trails are restricted to just hiking and/or riding, and much better for strolling on your own. As easy or challenging as you make it. Some neat caves to explore.

Awesome views for a quick trip!

We went down the Paseo del Rio trail, only 2 miles round trip. It's a trail suitable for all ages and levels, we only chose it because we arrived at the peak of the day. There wasn't much scenery but the park in general was great!

One of my favorite places, its a day drive for me but well worth it, Take lots of water and some snacks for longer hikes. Definitely one of the best trails i've run/hiked. Hope to complete the trail race one year. Also have been chased by angry turkies. There are trails for all skill levels, I take my son annually since he was three and he surprises me with the trails and climbs he does.

I hiked Rojo Grande Trail past Painted Rock with my niece and husband in July, and--save the scorching heat--we had a great time. The trail is mostly flat but there is a little bit of shade and enough up-and-down to keep it interesting. We passed several bicyclists and hikers on our short walk. Bring plenty of water, as always.