North Mount Franklin Trail

North Mount Franklin Trail is a 7.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near El Paso, TX that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Definitely a "to do" if you're passing through. 7.6 miles is a little off. I had my watch map it and it was 4.43 miles one way to the summit. Took us about an hour and 45 minutes to reach the summit. The loose rock makes it more challenging than it needs to be but your legs get a good smoking from the walking. Definitely worth taking it all the way to the peak. Bring plenty of water and small snacks. Great views.

Great! Very challenging I've done this hike twice & will definitely be doing it again.

Very hard trail but worth the hike. Beautiful views,lots of wildflowers and cacti.

Good endurance test! Great views the whole way up. Once at the summit, you'll see the true beauty of the Franklin Mountains and surrounding areas. It took me 2 hours to reach the summit. Thats with rests and picture stops. I recommend taking PLENTY of WATER, nutrition snacks, sunblock, comfortable clothes, appropriate footwear, sunglasses, a hat and more WATER!

Awesome work out, ran/hike to the top and ran down. Super views from the top. Definitely recommend!

Great

This is a trip to the top of the highest point in the whole range of the Franklin Mountains. The elevation gain is around 2,400 ft to an altitude of 7,192 ft. For all practical purposes you walk all the way up to the top. At the beginning you can select between two alternative ways that join together in about a mile. Later on you will reach the Mundys Gap and you will be able to see El Paso Texas east and west sides. You also can get to the Gap, and even the North Peak through the rim, by using an alternative trail that goes to the Cottonwood Spring. Once at the top enjoy what you see.

Great hike! Worth the views.

Definitely take the Agave trail up from the parking lot to avoid most of the rocky section at the bottom of this trail. Well worth the hike.

Very rocky at the beginning, I'm glad I decided to wear proper hiking boots. Beautiful views all the way up with a huge payoff at the end (360 degree view at the top).

Awesome

This was our first hike after moving from Fort Benning to Fort Bliss. The elevation gain is relatively spread out, so it's not too bad steepness-wise. It was a fairly busy trail, and we saw about two dozen people throughout. This worked to our advantage, since a trail runner actually spotted a rattle snake just 20 meters ahead of us and was kind enough to give us a heads up.

This is one of those trails you have to do because it's the highest in the Franklins, but other than that I find it pretty underwhelming. The trail starts out really nice on the west side with green plants, red rocks, and lizards running about, but once you cross over to the east side it's all scorched and just feels like an unkept backyard. Although the trail is well maintained, i would recommend hiking boots. I've done it with both running and hiking shoes and the jagged rocks will get to you in a thin shoe. If you love insects (I don't), do this hike right after a good rain. What I do love about this trail is that it makes for great uphill training if you want to test your speed and endurance.

Hike this trail starting from Tom Mays Unit, take Mundy's Gap then youll reach the split sign and take a right towards North Franklin Peak. The view just keeps getting better the higher up you get. Theres an abandoned old pick up truck that I have no idea how it got up there but its mostly scrap metal now and you come across a danger sign warning you about unexploded bombs lol. Don't worry I didn't come across anything and its mainly telling you about a path for you not to take anyways. Once you get to the top after thinking you almost got there three times before you actually do its worth the calories burnt. Don't be scared and take this hike, you'll be able to scratch this off your bucket list and I know for sure not many people can say they reached the top of El Paso's highest peak. Take water, fruit "Pineapple for b-12", and a camera and you'll be just fine... It is best you make sure you are conditioned for this trail though.

This trail is listed as easy and although that may be accurate for my skill level, it wouldn't be for other more casual hikers. It's well marked and travelled but pretty long till you reach the summit with many areas of loose rock. I made it to the top in about 1 hour and 20 minutes, but I was pushing hard the whole way. The views are great and further up the mountain I saw two lizards about 14 inches in length from head to tail! They certainly weren't afraid of me, and for that I got some good pics. They seem more prominent the higher you ascend through the trail. This is also the main trail for other hikes including Mundy's Gap, Tin Mines, and the Cottonwood trails. Sneeds Cory, a small bouldering area, lies at the base of the trail.

If you want to say you've conquered the highest peak in the Franklins go for it! I would recommend doing some training before hand but overall this is not a horribly difficult hike, just long and the altitude can affect one if they're not used to it. During the last leg there are a couple false summits but don't give up! The views are fantastic at the top! Bring plenty of water and food!

This is an excellent out and back that I completed yesterday. I have been in El Paso for 6 months and I have been meaning to do this for a while. The beginning is probably the most annoying part walking up the loose scree rock, but after that the trail is wide and well maintained. There are a few spots where the monsoon rains this summer have washed out the trail, but the great folks at the Tom Mays unit have repaired them pretty well. The view from the top is awesome! It's well worth you time. I did it in a little over 3 hours solo, going at very quick pace. With a few people I could see this taking somewhere between 4-6 hours.

Hiked this two days ago, it was lovely. I wish I would have done this hike sooner but now that I have I will probably be hiking it every month (in the cooler months). Beyond Mundy's Gap on the eastern side the incredible views begin. The mountains were incredibly green it was stunning to see how lush the Franklins can get. There were tons of flowers and wildlife. Grasshoppers, snakes, baby lizards, Scrub Jays, Rock Wrens and many coyote tracks on the trails. Since we have been blessed with a good amount of rain this year, there are few parts of the trail that are washed out. Firstly the wooden "bridge" was less in tact than before, and there are a couple of spots on the eastern side that leave you wondering where the trail is, but keep going they are there. Some of these danger zones are marked with orange cones and some aren't. From the summit you can see White Sands, the Organ Mountains and the Guadalupe Mountains. Its very much worth the climb. Some tips for the hike: lots of snacks, sunscreen (you will be fully exposed the entire hike) and hat; and of course plenty of water. I packed 3 liters and began to worry it wasn't enough but it turned out to be perfect, so I would say pack 3-4 liters. Trekking pole help a lot on this hike as it is a very steep ascent. The also are useful for extra stability crossing the washed out zones. Looking forward to doing it again! Peaceful trails!