Neches Bluff Trail

Neches Bluff Trail is a 4.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Grapeland, TX. The trail is good for all skill levels and primarily used for hiking, trail running, and camping.

This trail is a little confusing to me. I think the Neches Bluff Trail is a small portion of the Four C trail, but cannot find what the official Neches Buff Trail is.

We did hike 2.5 miles down to near the water and back to the park road where the trail continues on.

It was mostly easy with a few moderate sections of elevation changes (We are flat-landers). The recent rain left many places on the trail that were flooded. Easy enough to get around.

I was surprised that the trail never took us to a bluff, just down to the water's edge.

It was an enjoyable hike and would love to continue on where we left off someday.

This was my first backpacking hike, and we carried all our water with us, so progress was slower than average.

Walnut Creek shelter was gone, maybe destroyed in one of the burns? No idea, but it definitely wasn't there.

Wear pants, not shorts, and reapply bug spray fairly often. Check for ticks when you make camp. Some boggy areas near bridge were mosquito nightmares!

Minor hills near the overlook end of the trail.

There were almost no mile markers, so figure out your own way to track your progress. The trail itself was clearly marked.

High humidity after a brief rain shower the first day. Humid and sunny the second day. I don't recommend going in June. The forest would be much prettier in the fall anyway.

Good thing about this trail is you can drive your car up some of the backroads and cache your water ahead, save some weight in your packs. http://www.duprephotography.com/4CTrail/index.htm is a good resource to figure out where to stash it.