McKittrick Canyon Trail

McKittrick Canyon Trail is a 21 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Carlsbad, TX that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and camping and is accessible year-round.

Directions from Whites City, NM: Travel south along Highway 62/180

This hike must be done at the right time to get the best experience. Generally before Dec you check their website/FB page for an update on the color change..when the leaves turn. The first 1/4 of the hike is pretty uneventful, normal southwest terrain & scenery. The trail follows a riverbed until eventually crossing it. The canyon on your left is pretty cool, as are the layers of rock that have eroded in the riverbed. Once across it's just gravel trail for awhile with a few spots to sit. Again, the mountains looming on both sides are pretty neat. Eventually you start heading into the deeper part of the canyon where the whole topography changes. You start seeing the colors. You'll cross over the river bed (this time w/ water) back to the left bank. The scenery is gorgeous & the trail is surrounded by trees. Once again, you cross back to the right side of the bed & that's where the views are best. So much gold, orange & reds. The ranger station is off to the right. We continued on & were just amazed at the scenery. There are many trees like ash that are nowhere else in the region. We stayed to the right at the grotto/lodge junction, where the trail starts climbing the right side of the canyon. Looking down from up high, the whole canyon spread out, it's breathtaking. The trail gets steeper & winds up to the top of the canyon where you can go on to campsites. We were short on time so headed back. On the return we went to the old lodge & grotto. Both great places to rest & eat as there are picnic tables. Definitely recommend heading out early to make the most of the whole day. I will be returning to try & make it to the very top next time.

Easy going trail, and very beautiful scenery. I recommend checking out the grotto, and the hunting lodge as well

My wife, Matty-poo and 3 kids (10, 5 and 2) only made it as far as Pratt lodge. It's pretty cool that it's fully furnished. The views from the canyon floor up to the peaks was awesome! My kids loved the stream we had to cross but the heat of the day was exhausting for the kids. We all loved it though.

Nice relaxing hike. We started with McKittrick in the morning then hit Devil's Hall in the afternoon. There was quite a bit of snow on the ground left over from the storm the week before which made the canyon extra pretty. The highlight was seeing a herd of Javalina drinking at the creek crossing. They snorted a bit at us then went about their business.

I only went to the cabin. It took 3 hours round trip but there was quite a bit of snow. The other times I've been on this trail you see multiple other people but this time I didn't see a single other person. Absolutely breathtaking.

Well maintained trails. Recent flooding has left some of the nature views a bit bare but great trip. Hiked up to "the notch". Beautiful.

Great hike, did it in fall, the colors were amazing, one of the best hikes in west Texas. the trail is very well maintained, it is a fairly easy hike. I highly recommend it. it is a nice family outing.

Did this trail 2 years ago, it's a very nice trail. Fairly easy but offers many neat features including wildlife, and cabin and pretty neat rock formations. I hiked this in the winter-time and I now see how Autumn may be a nicer time to visit.

Did this trail in September, 1990. It's an easy walk up the canyon. The trail splits at Pratt Cabin. Strange how the creek had water at times, then was dry.

Opened up our trip in Guadalupe Mtn. National Park by hiking in McKittrick Canyon. It rained lightly throughout our hike, but the sun peeked through as well. The Texas madrone trees were fantastic, in bloom. Other trees were also turning color. I would go late October to mid November to see the changing of the seasons. Groovy hike and not much elevation gain. It was a good hike to get acclimated to the climate and ready to bag Guadalupe Peak the following day. I would recommend taking this hike as part of my overall experience in the Park. Prepared us for adventure hike the next day.

Great easy hike. Don't wait to go too late in the Fall. Suggest mid to late October.

Go in the late fall - the colors are amazing!