McKinney Roughs Riverside Trail to Bluff Trail Loop

McKinney Roughs Riverside Trail to Bluff Trail Loop is a 3.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Cedar Creek, Texas that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Great view at halfway mark. bring lunch

Plenty of distance due to multiple trails and routes. I made approx. 6 mile loop (3+ hours) out the western side to Colorado River returning along eastern side. Saw maybe 5 other folks ... all friendly. Good leisurely workout, clean, fresh air, lot of nice scenery.
Access is from Hwy 71, not 969 by the way. $5 day use fee.

There are two other markers that say "McKinney Roughs," but this is it. The other two should be removed. Also, the address is 1884 State Highway 71 West, Cedar Creek, Tx 78612. I don't believe the app has the address.

I'm not sure what the Southern Loop is. I didn't see it on the map. But I took the Ridge Trail out to its end, then turned right onto the Bluff Trail Loop. When I completed theBluff Trail Loop coming back down the Ridge Trail there is another trail, the Woodland Trail, that cuts off to the west. I took it and it doubled back to the end of the Ridge Trail.

I say all that to say this. The Ridge Trail and The Woodlands Trail form a nice loop. Despite the fact that it has been raining for days (weeks) the Ridge / Woodlands loop is mostly cinder and well drained and I had no problem walking it. It is maintained, though it needs work. The Woodland Trail is narrow in a couple of spots too. But, overall both are beautiful easy hikes with lots of flora and some fauna to see. The end of the Ridge Trail has a great overlook view of the Colorado River Valley.

I also took the Bluff Trail Loop. I really enjoyed it and saw deer, a lot of cardinals and lots of tracks of other animals. It was very muddy though, particularly the lower down towards the river I got. That being said, I never got to a place that I couldn't maneuver around. I'm glad I took it. There's a very interesting offshoot where you can see a large bend in the river and how swollen the river is right now. There's a River Trail. I can't imagine it's open. Where my map said it should be at a coupe of points there was nothing but river. Overall my hike was 3.3 miles and a nice day. I don't know if this App lets yo look at photos that I took while recording my hike, but I invite you to look if you can.

Nice views here and there. Trail well kept.

The trail detailed here is just one path in a more complicated web of trails at McKinney Roughs Nature Park (https://alltrails.com/explore/trail/us/texas/mckinney-roughs). Actually, I couldn't find anything there that referred to "Southern Loop Trail".

I will go back and try some of the other trails soon.

The main entrance is closed on Sundays. Use entrance 1/4 mile east labeled "Hwy 71 trailhead". A great variety of terrain. Bobcat Ridge is a rocky, sandy path through cedar trees. Coyote Road offer a wide clay path to the Colorado River via Riverside trail. Follow Riverside until you get to the more challenging Cypress and Pine Ridge trails which will take you down to a deep river valley then take you up a ~200 ft switchback climb which is rewarded by a great view of the Pine Ridge Plateau. From there it's an easy sandy walk back to the trailhead. A great way to spend a few hours out in nature. Bring snacks and water.