Lost Mine Trail

Lost Mine Trail is a 4.6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Terlingua, Texas that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and birding and is accessible year-round.

Directions from Basin Road, TX: Travel until the mile marker 5

Bring water and a snack. Great views.

Good trail for any skill level. Very scenic and trail was in excellent shape. Finding parking may prove to be the biggest challenge though.

Moderate and relatively quick hike with nice views at the top. My friend and I did this hike in about 2.5 hours and we spent a lot of time at the top hanging out. This trail is an up and down along the same trail.

A moderate hike with good views on the way up, but amazing views from the top. At roughly 4.5 miles it is easily accomplished in a few hours with time to gaze out at the top. If you're not up to hiking the South Rim (best views in the park), then Lost Mine is your best bet.

This is a moderately difficult hike, not too tough overall. The rise is something like 1000 feet so it's a challenge if you aren't used to this type of thing. Really awesome views. We did this one the first day we got to the park after setting up camp. So you can do it in a few hours as an evening hike. We completed right as the sun was setting and the view out The Window was amazing. If you don't have a lot of time to spend in Chisos Basin, this is a good hike to consider as it's not all day, it's challenging, and the views are great. It is however very popular and there will be a lot of people out there. If you have a whole day or more to spend up in the basin, the South Rim is the best trail. It is however an all day hike and much more difficult. I'd prioritize South Rim way above Lost Mine if you don't have time for both.

TL;DR = if you have time and stamina, skip this trail and do South Rim. If you have less time or want easier hike Lost Mine is still great but usually crowded.

Beautiful view all the way up, and then the top is just this peaceful, breathtaking place, my favorite!

We loved this hike. Left at 10:00am and all uphill in the shade, with a very gradual incline. Spectacular views all the way. Bear sightings ended up closing this trail so we felt lucky to complete it. About two hours up and 1 hour down.

Great trail with rewarding views. The first 8/10 of a mile is pretty uneventful with not much to see other than forest but right around the 1mile mark it opens to a beautiful vista. Round trip hike is about 4.79 miles based on my track, last 1/2 mile up the mountain is the toughest part of the hike with about 7 switchbacks. Worth the hike and time, I'm a photographer so I took my time, it took me about 4.5 hours to complete up and back, that included 90 minutes of time not moving. Take a snack and recharge at the top while you enjoy the views.

Best hike in the entire park; no doubt about it. Get to this hike early enough to get parking. Good news is, this one has a lot more tree shade to beat the heat in, even if you get started a bit later in the morning. We saw a small black bear on this trail, only 15 yards away--amazing!!! It had no interest in us; it just kept moving as we made lots of noise to discourage it from coming our way. The views at the top are amazing, and I recommend taking a snack to enjoy at the top while you take in the view, which is more expansive than I thought it would be. I could've done with a little more water; my 32oz Nalgene was enough, but I would've liked more. My husband did this in hiking sandals, but I wouldn't have done it without boots, myself (plenty of rocks on the trail). Seems like a good trail for older kids.

One of the premier trails of the park. Very well marked with stunning views for every mile of the trail. Heavily trafficked during the weekends. Recommend and early morning hike 1. beat the crowd and 2. Tends to get very hot after 10-11 am on the "peak". If you're adventurous do a mid-night hike on a new moon night :) stars upon stars upon stars!

Beautiful views, generally nice shading. Did it with our family (13, 11, 8, 5 yr olds). My wife turned back with the 5 yr old about 1/2 way, but the rest of the children made it.