Lost Mine Trail

Lost Mine Trail is a 4.6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Terlingua, TX that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and birding and is accessible year-round.

Directions from Basin Road, TX: Travel until the mile marker 5

Great trail with rewarding views. The first 8/10 of a mile is pretty uneventful with not much to see other than forest but right around the 1mile mark it opens to a beautiful vista. Round trip hike is about 4.79 miles based on my track, last 1/2 mile up the mountain is the toughest part of the hike with about 7 switchbacks. Worth the hike and time, I'm a photographer so I took my time, it took me about 4.5 hours to complete up and back, that included 90 minutes of time not moving. Take a snack and recharge at the top while you enjoy the views.

Best hike in the entire park; no doubt about it. Get to this hike early enough to get parking. Good news is, this one has a lot more tree shade to beat the heat in, even if you get started a bit later in the morning. We saw a small black bear on this trail, only 15 yards away--amazing!!! It had no interest in us; it just kept moving as we made lots of noise to discourage it from coming our way. The views at the top are amazing, and I recommend taking a snack to enjoy at the top while you take in the view, which is more expansive than I thought it would be. I could've done with a little more water; my 32oz Nalgene was enough, but I would've liked more. My husband did this in hiking sandals, but I wouldn't have done it without boots, myself (plenty of rocks on the trail). Seems like a good trail for older kids.

One of the premier trails of the park. Very well marked with stunning views for every mile of the trail. Heavily trafficked during the weekends. Recommend and early morning hike 1. beat the crowd and 2. Tends to get very hot after 10-11 am on the "peak". If you're adventurous do a mid-night hike on a new moon night :) stars upon stars upon stars!

Beautiful views, generally nice shading. Did it with our family (13, 11, 8, 5 yr olds). My wife turned back with the 5 yr old about 1/2 way, but the rest of the children made it.

Pretty easy trail with nice view at the top. I would rate it easy. We were four 60 plus year olds in relatively good condition and none of us had any difficulty. Had lunch at the top and took our photos.

I have been going to Big Bend every year since 1986. This was my first hike and my favorite. Still do it every year (I'll be 74 this year), now with my sons and grandson. Y'all don't miss the Grapevine hike to the balanced rock....different type of scenery but equally as incredible. Big Bend is the most awesome park in the United States (maybe the world)! God Bless Texas! I'll be back in two weeks for my 30th.

Great views only bad thing was it was busy. Went to second peak and seemed to make trek longer. Did 6.3 miles not what it states.

Beautiful introduction to Big Bend, Lost Mine packs a lot of fantastic views of mountains and valleys into a relatively short hike. The hike is not long, but it is somewhat strenuous since it is uphill all the way out. I ran into a family of mule deer grazing near the trail on the way back down.

Awesome!

Fun trail for the whole family!
You really lost your mind with that beauty

Absolutely my favorite out of the 3 or 4 we did. It was difficult (my plantar fasciitis was acting up really bad) but plenty of shaded areas going up and AMAZING views (for Texas' own mountains atleast) There is a turn around point about 1.2 miles in (also the best spot for a picture in my opinion) I slipped quite a few times because of the gravel and because I'm just a clumsy person. Go early. It's quite a hike, take water, take granola bars because it sure worked up an appetite. We saw a rattlesnake at around mile 3ish and heard quite a few. Just be prepared for it. Have fun :)

Views from the top are spectacular. Definitely worth it. This was our first big trail ever and we did it with no problem. Watch for loose rocks on the path so you don't break an ankle or fall into a cactus. Mountain lion signs were a little nerve racking but the only wildlife we saw were some deer, a tarantula and a rattlesnake all off the trail. Be aware and be careful and you'll have a great time.

We had tried to do this hike on Sunday afternoon, but couldn't find a parking space. Monday late morning was lucky, though! We were hiking with 8- and 5-year-old boys who had had their fill of hikes for the weekend, and the 5yo was pretty uneasy about all the mountain lion warnings, but I really wanted to do this one! Our compromise was to go the first mile of the trail. There's a magnificent little ridge/saddle where you can see forever to one side and back into the Chisos basin on the other. They were glad we did it, and glad that the return was all downhill! We saw no wildlife.

Well maintained trail with great views along the way and at the top.

Good, short hike! Beautiful at the top. Not overly technical - 'moderate' is generally a good description. The trail is well-maintained: despite a recent snowstorm and slush still present on the trail, there was very little mud and no sign of washout.

Amazing! Stunning! One of my favorite all time hikes. Only 2 of us the whole way up. Took a breather at the top to enjoy the views. On the way down, ran into a black bear!

Beautiful! Great for young families.